Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Would you participate in a community for aspie teens?
Poll ended at 15 Jun 2010, 11:08 am
Yes. I've been looking for something like this. 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
No. I don't think it's the kind of thing I like. 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Maybe. Depends on certain things. 52%  52%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 23

kdeering75
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2010, 11:08 am

I know my son is 12 and has a really hard time on facebook with his "peers" socializing. Comments come out wrong, people just don't respond...typical social issues. But he wants to fit in. Which made me wonder about a community for aspies.

What do people think about a social networking community for Aspie kids? I've been looking over a plug in for Wordpress called "BuddyPress". It's a social network that someone can create on any website. I have my own domain so. Below is the description:

Quote:
BuddyPress is a social networking application built on top of WordPress Multi-User (MU) as a plugin. WordPress MU is the the software behind WordPress.com. It allows a user to host a network of blogs on a site. BuddyPress adds a large variety of new social interaction features to WordPress. The features can be added all at once or as individual components:

A WordPress blog
Individual profiles for members
Private Message (PM) functionality
Friend Networks
Groups, which include a blog, photos and other user generated content
"The Wire" (like the wall on Facebook)
Activity/Action streams of public actions on the site
Forums using bbPress

A sample of a site using Buddypress:

http://wildlifefans.com/

There is lots of features and all members are invited to give feedback and suggestions. Especially the tweens/teens. The site would be moderated obviously and still playing with the idea.

kdeering75

01 Jun 2010, 12:33 pm

For those who vote depending. A comment would be great to get into the right direction.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 3:24 pm

It would possibly be good but it probably would have been a good idea to say you're asking about doing this for teens and tweens in the question. It gave the impression that you may think that AS is thing that disappears in adulthood (probably not your intent at all).

Although, there's a place called kids crater on here. I'm sure if there's a request for one for tweens and teens it would be paid attention to.

kdeering75

01 Jun 2010, 4:58 pm

No you're right it's not my intent at all. But I probably shouldn't have assumed that people could read between the lines and that I apologize for. I should remember that when posting. It's a place where they can converse with their "peers" so to speak. It's no different then board have a separate forum for the teens and kids, except this would be a social network.F acebook has an age restriction this network would be for under that age. I want to try to do something to help my child as well as many other parents'.

Thanks for the feedback and helping me clarify some things :)

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 10:28 am

What ages would this be for exactly?

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

kdeering75

02 Jun 2010, 11:43 am

I was think 11-18 but would be asking others opinion.

What do you think?

kdeering75

02 Jun 2010, 3:47 pm

I'd love from those choosing depends. :)