Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 1:43 pm

How do you put people at ease? I notice I feel like I am different than most people. I appear physically stronger than most people and I have taught myself to keep my head up and shoulders back. I take up more space than the average person gets. People will often move aside like I am parting the seas in a crowded space. It feels like a faux tough guy image that I project instead of the meek, head down, don't look at my eyes of adolescence. I don't really project an openness around people that I don't know well. It is my way of dealing with over-stimulated environments instead of crawling off into some corner, but the effect is similar.

I also have longer, unruly hair in large part because I can't stand some stranger touching my hair and head to get regular haircuts. I have considered shaving it off, but I don't know if that will make the image worse. I also have a bad habit of using too big of words and concepts for the average person when I am having a conversation. I think I have some problems tailoring my conversation to my audience. Does anyone have any advice for me? I would like to try to be more people oriented, if only to give myself more experiences in life.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 1:59 pm

Try smiling, if you haven't already. Think about your body language. Keep your hands visible and open. Relax, people will pick up on tension.

I tend to think of everyone I meet as being like a bomb. They need defusing. A gesture, a smile, a nod, a wave, a 'hello', or a 'how are you' can disarm them, then it's like all the tension is gone, and everyone can get on with their business. Make yourself a known element to them.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 5:14 pm

I use the tone of my voice. Make a high note somewhere in the sentence. They seem to read that more than the logic. It seems to keep me from their wrath. They are fragile bombs.
I thought of keeping a voice recorder in my pocket and getting an NT to record an emotional "hey you" and just push the button.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

24 Oct 2010, 7:19 pm

i think its just one of those things. frankly i'd rather be indimidating than a bully. theres a difference, Intimidation is so super bad that it aviods all contact. because well, you are intimidating. bullys are nothing but lowlifes, with bad breath. aviod them at all costs!!

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 10:40 pm

Well, I went on a date this afternoon and we got into this discussion indirectly. She thinks of me as quiet and mysterious in a good way. The funny thing about me is after I get to know someone I end up being more on the goofy side in the sense that I don't take myself too seriously. But with people that don't know me I give off more of a "I don't play by the rules everyone else does." I have always been the type to walk to the beat of my own drums, so I am not surprised.

Thanks for your input. I probably should learn to more open and look to initiate friendliness. You are funny Pobody (nice name) and Richard. I will have to remember my tape recorder and breath mints next time. :)

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 11:08 pm

i have bin told that i project an "evil boy genius" demeanor. I really don't see how though.