Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

blackmetal83092
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2010, 12:08 am

I have this friend I used to really like being around. He was my best friend. But lately, I've just had trouble feeling anything but resentment and annoyance. Here's the story summed up;

We really bonded in April of 2008. We were into the same music and having problems with our girlfriends. We were both into extreme metal, black metal in particular. He played bass and I played guitar, and that's when we really hit it off.

We would practice these songs I had written and would work on covers. We would dip and watch stupid stuff on TV and just talk and have a good time.

We would go to the skating rink (which was popular among our friends), sneak in whiskey and dip, and get drunk and have a good time.

He started to struggle with drug addiction, and I tried to aid him, and I thought I was doing a good job. That last time I can say I genuinely had fun with him was December of 2008.

When he got deep into drugs, which I never touched, he would take me out with him, get high, we'd get back to his place, he'd pop a movie in his dvd player and then fall asleep, and I'd have to text my girlfriend at the time until I could get to sleep.

Then he got in trouble with the law, and I didn't hear from him for 4 months or so. I had been extremely depressed for a long time, and was when he got out.

Lately when I've been around him, he has an obsession with money and rarely does anything but work at McDonald's and plays Xbox. I feel like I can't talk to him about anything as far as my depression, his answer is always, "Do you think I like being sober? You're not living. You need to get a job, money is the most important thing in the world, stop listening to metal, rap has a better message", crap like that that isn't of any help to me. My doctor/therapist is completely straight forward and down to earth, but he has advice that actually helps me. Is this friend a lost cause? or is there still hope that I can enjoy being around him again?

Sorry this was so long.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 12:53 am

Sometimes people you know have to go through life the hard way. Nothing you can do for or tell them will have the results that learning by experience will. Some just never do learn.

That being said, some people are toxic. They may not have been, at some point, but become that way over time or because of some event. If a person is toxic to you - puts you in danger of, say, being arrested, or is just so much of a bummer that being around them makes you feel bad all the time, I'd say take a walk away. You can let them know you won't be in contact much for a while because what they're doing/saying is such a downer. It's unhealthy to remain constantly in the company of people who are not good for your own mental health.

People change. Sometimes for the worse, sometimes for the better, sometimes it's a roller coaster ride. Maybe your old friend will come around and get their "stuff" together again at some point and you will be able to enjoy their company again. Maybe not. It's not your job to make it happen. Just leave the door open, so to speak....

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 2:53 pm

I've grown apart from a girl that I was friends with in elementary school and high school, for similar reasons.