Page 1 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2008, 5:11 am

Are aspies not able to drive? I know one who claims he notices details too much and can't drive.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

30 Dec 2008, 5:35 am

That's BS. I've never been in an accident.
Once I got a speeding ticket, and the motorcycle cop totally dissed me for not seeing her across the street at a gas station at night when I was speeding. I mean dam! I'm watching the ROAD. I can't watch EVERYTHING at once while going 55mph.
Is that an Aspie thing, that we can't be omniobsevant? I dunno, but I don't THINK so.

Kara_h
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2008, 6:15 am

I can't drive because I am an epileptic. The table I was at at the last aspie meeting had *nobody* who could drive, all for various reasons.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 7:28 am

I used to be an above average driver - now that I'm old I'm more careless, I don't live in cities anymore anyway, so it's not like you have to be hyper vigilant about bad drivers.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 7:30 am

i am a good driver. i never had an accident.
i drive too fast, but my coordination is good for tasks like driving and seeing obstacles, and anticipating short term future events on the road in front of me.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 7:36 am

I don't drive because I don't have my license yet.
I also have a poor sense of direction and might just freak out if someone beeped at me, or worse shouted at me.
I don't know how I'll be on the road. I might get sensory overload. I get that way with crowds a lot.
There's also the cost of buying and maintaining a car.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 10:04 am

"I am an excellent driver"
Rainman

No, really, I have been driving since I was 16 and passed my driver's ed class. I have driven cars, trucks, stick shifts, automatics, jeeps and huge moving vans with my car on a trailer on the back through high mountian passes with the snow up to my nose (should I have gotten out on the side of the road, which I did not!)

But then, I didn't know I was an Aspie, either. So I didn't know I was supposed to be limited.
I thank what ever lucky stars for that situation!

Merle

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 10:14 am

sinsboldly wrote:
"I am an excellent driver"
Rainman

No, really, I have been driving since I was 16 and passed my driver's ed class. I have driven cars, trucks, stick shifts, automatics, jeeps and huge moving vans with my car on a trailer on the back through high mountian passes with the snow up to my nose (should I have gotten out on the side of the road, which I did not!)

But then, I didn't know I was an Aspie, either. So I didn't know I was supposed to be limited.
I thank what ever lucky stars for that situation!

However, I always used to wonder how people did night driving when the oncoming headlights (even when I dutifully looked at the right hand side of the edge of the road) just blinded the #$@! out of ya'!

Merle

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 10:26 am

I am a second generation non-driver. My mom doesn't drive either.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 10:54 am

I drive, but I wasn't able to find soemone who could teach me until I was 30. Other people just confused me instead of telling me what to do and how.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 11:01 am

I drive, and have done so since I could get a license.
Sports cars, regular cars, stick shift, automatics, lorries-13 speed 10 wheel, 4 wheel drive off road, even motorcycles ! !!

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 3:27 pm

I drive.
I did get into a small fender-bender this past summer, but the damage was minimal and may not have been my fault.

messygeek
Raven
Raven

30 Dec 2008, 3:59 pm

My parents prohibited me from driving saying that because of my disability I was irresponsibe - so I learned to drive without them and bought my own first car.

My younger brother has already had 1 DUI, totaled 3 vehicles, and 1 OWI. They continue to pay his insurance and buy him cars when he totals them - because hes responsible.

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

30 Dec 2008, 4:16 pm

I don't drive. I don't even have my license. I kinda have a fear of driving.
Also, if I do drive, my parents friends want me to drive them to bars and back. I don't feel like doing that.

Puggle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2008, 6:00 pm

I was 26 and a half years old when I got my P-plates (can drive unsupervised).
It took 23 lessons.

In contrast, my sister had 3 lessons and got her licence at 17.

I didn't want to drive. I'm not particularly good at it. I put it off for as long as I could because of lack of time/finances, and because I lived in an area where the public transport was reasonably good. When I moved, I pretty much had to get a car or rely on other people. But it scared me stupid. I hated the thought of having that much responsibility.

My instructor said that anyone can drive. You just have to be observant and react appropriately. They'd probably be two of my worst qualities!

It's getting better though. I guess I'm learning what I can safely filter out. At first I was just overwhelmed with everything you need to take in and process. Thought about every single car and what they're doing and if that person next to the road was going to step out and ... , all while trying to learn how to actually work a car. I found driving an automatic made it a bit easier. Gears were just another thing to think about.

I think I must develop scripts for driving situations, just like for social situations. I don't get flustered when things are going like normal. I'm not too bad when things are a little bit different, but I've done it or seen it before. But completely unexpected situations that I have no experience of and no time to think about the optimal solution - they make me very anxious.

I guess I'll get better at driving as I get more scripts and refine my filter. A bit like socializing, but with cars instead of people :)

30 Dec 2008, 9:41 pm

I'm 23 and I drive.