What to do after you get someone's phone number?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

gaamoo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Dec 2010, 1:18 am

Hi,

Don't feel like a long explanation, but bottom line is I gave someone my phone number in e-mail with the phrase "if you want to hang out" and they replied with theirs. Unfortunately I have no idea what hanging out actually is and never have used phones for friendships. I don't think I'll be naturally seeing this person in person again. I can think of one or two things she has in common with me, but I can't imagine just asking her to come with me somewhere without it being a date (she is currently unavailable FYI). And I can't just hope she calls me, or that it wouldn't be a group gathering that I'd hate...and so now I have no idea how I'm supposed to meet her or anyone else for that matter. I have all the social stuff down to the point where I can have conversations, and when we had seen each other at work in the fall we got along better than anyone I've ever met.

So, what do my fellow aspies do at this point in a relationship? I would really appreciate some advice.

rf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2010, 4:21 am

gaamoo wrote:
So, what do my fellow aspies do at this point in a relationship? I would really appreciate some advice.

A. If you are not interested in pursuing the friendship, you ignore the number. If called to task on this later, you accidentally erased it or have been really busy (at which point you jump to (B)).

B. If you are interested in pursuing the friendship, you arrange an outing, preferably organized around an activity, including one, maximum two other people. Having a third person around reduces flirting issues and gives you a break on having to hold up your end of conversation for the whole event. This option presupposes you can talk a third party into coming along. Proposing an activity that is actually fun helps with that. ;-)

Good luck.

gaamoo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Dec 2010, 2:07 pm

No on A, but I was really hoping someone actually was in my situation since I don't have a third person...but thanks anyway.

DukeLing
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2011, 4:55 pm

(So this is based purely on theoretical knowledge, not experience, but hope it helps.)
I'd suggest calling her and asking her to a movie (not a romantic comedy or similar, but definitely something she would want to see). Make it seem like you are going to go see the movie either way, you just want someone to go with. If you ask her whether she wants to go see that specific movie, rather than 'catch a movie sometime', it would seems like less of a date. Ask her to coffee or a snack / light meal (or possibly just ice-cream, but this may cut your time to talk a bit short) directly after the movie (not a big meal, as this would scream 'DATE!').
Call her a few days later, say something like "we can be movie buddies" (the idea here is to slip something in to indicate that it's just friendship, but not to do so too obviously) and ask her to another movie (here you can pretty much just ask her what she wants to see).
Repeat - try to make it a weekly or semi-weekly thing on a fixed day of the week (preferably Mon-Thur, not weekend, since she is less likely to make plans for then).

Note: Seeing a movie with someone is great for people who aren't great conversationalists, since whenever you run out of things to say, you can always just mention something about the movie.

Patchesheart
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2011, 5:37 pm

Let us know how it went. It'd be nice to hear how ppl w/ Aspergers handle relationships. Is being awkward apart of it?

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 6:01 pm

since most people don't bother to call me and I don't generally call them, it's easy. I just have a list of names on my phone, which looks "cool" but really means nothing.

rf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2011, 12:16 pm

gaamoo wrote:
No on A, but I was really hoping someone actually was in my situation since I don't have a third person...but thanks anyway.

Hmm... So, if she is 'not available,' then presumably she's involved romantically with at least one person. Could that person (or one of those persons if she is not monogamous) be your third?

My current lover came to me this way. She was the third party. We met when I started inviting her and her lover out in order to clear up an issue very much like what you describe in your OP.

Of course, if you have a crush on either of them, this approach is suboptimal.

Good luck, Gaamoo.

djeidot
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2011, 5:00 pm

I'd go with DukeLing's suggestion.

gaamoo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jan 2011, 12:55 pm

I don't know who her "lover" is, but considering she never mentioned him until after I brought it up, I don't think it's serious, and I'm pretty sure he lives somewhere else. Not that I care, of course 8)

However, I do like how DukeLing's suggestion sounds, hopefully I find a movie that we both want to see. And, for the interested, I will update you as to what happens and how I deal with it.

rf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2011, 10:55 pm

;-) Have fun.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 12:01 pm

The OP is in a slightly different situation than I was but I relate to having no idea what to do with a phone number. I'm a mom and I met another mom at a park while our kids were playing. She was brand new in town and new no one. God help her that I was the person she depended on for a social foot in the door!

We exchanged numbers and I forgot to call her, forgot to call her, forgot to call her. She called me a couple times in that three month timeframe and I forgot to return her call. She finally got a hold of me when I was out of state on a vacation. I promised to call her back when I got home.

I forgot.

I'm sure she got along just fine without me but I feel really bad about not making her a priority. I feel like I neglected her because I was afraid of going through the process of making a social connection. It's a lot of work and sometimes I say the wrong thing, or don't say the right thing, and people don't like me. It's intimidated to try to form friendships with people the way NT people do it.

One thing I know for sure is that I didn't make the right decisions. I should've faced my fear and made her a priority. She might be one of my best friends if I had. I'll never know now.

gaamoo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jan 2011, 2:56 pm

wefunction wrote:
The OP is in a slightly different situation than I was but I relate to having no idea what to do with a phone number. I'm a mom and I met another mom at a park while our kids were playing. She was brand new in town and new no one. God help her that I was the person she depended on for a social foot in the door!

We exchanged numbers and I forgot to call her, forgot to call her, forgot to call her. She called me a couple times in that three month timeframe and I forgot to return her call. She finally got a hold of me when I was out of state on a vacation. I promised to call her back when I got home.

I forgot.

I'm sure she got along just fine without me but I feel really bad about not making her a priority. I feel like I neglected her because I was afraid of going through the process of making a social connection. It's a lot of work and sometimes I say the wrong thing, or don't say the right thing, and people don't like me. It's intimidated to try to form friendships with people the way NT people do it.

One thing I know for sure is that I didn't make the right decisions. I should've faced my fear and made her a priority. She might be one of my best friends if I had. I'll never know now.

Thanks for sharing that. It's that wondering I must avoid. But are you sure that she is gone? It doesn't sound that long ago that you couldn't still call her.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 7:44 pm

No, this was five years ago. I'm pretty sure the notebook I scribbled her number in is long gone... and, if by chance I found it, calling her would be very creepy. :wink:

I agree with the advice given to you about letting go and not looking back. You've tried hanging out with her and it's obviously not working. At this point, it doesn't even matter why the relationship didn't work out and whose fault that is. She's not a friend and you're not a friend so let the relationship have a proper death and burial, then move on.

But if you get a number for someone new, call it! :D