Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2011, 8:16 pm

I am male and 17 with autism and aspurgers and I would ike to know if anyone is like me at school where they are lonely and isolated? I only talk to 5 people but when they hear my name in a conversation they would go "Who?" and not know me. I want to be more well known aroud the place so I can be accepted into things but I am not sure. I never have time to hang around with people. I never stop to talk to people in the hallway which is kind of lonely between classes. I only have about 10 minutes to get to them but I don't stop or chat along the way. My day goes like this: I get up do moring stuff go to school and come home and that is it. I never have time to do anything with other people on the weekends and I never get invited. Before anyone asks yes there are clubs at school but none joins them and none of them are interesting to me and I don't think that me joining a club is going to have a huge effect on the school. I feel lonely and isolated all the time, I have nowhere else to go when I am out of school. I don't live anywhere close. (Oh and by the way, this is a general re write of my other question I have on here.) I am also very lonely at times and I feel bad that none knows who I am.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 8:52 pm

yea, i was kinda the same, i spoke to about 7 tho :P

and everybody knew me, they just (usually) didn't speak to me.

however, it kinda changed for the better as i went along tho. i now speak to 9 people :P lol

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2011, 9:12 pm

Yep. My son, who is 14 and in his first year of high school, had only one friend. He went to a huge school and couldn't take it so now hes in Independent Study (meetings with teachers and lots of home time). He is a little happier because he felt so lonely in the middle of a couple thousand people. He only had a couple "friends" from middle school but they never did anything with him outside class. (He hasn't had any real "school" friends since 4th grade). He has Aspergers but is also overweight, a double whammy. Bullying material. He is a gamer (WoW) and most of his friends are on that game. Without it I don't know what he would do. He tries to be friendly but it doesn't seem to work.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 12:03 am

user1001 wrote:
I am male and 17 with autism and aspurgers and I would ike to know if anyone is like me at school where they are lonely and isolated? I only talk to 5 people but when they hear my name in a conversation they would go "Who?" and not know me. I want to be more well known aroud the place so I can be accepted into things but I am not sure. I never have time to hang around with people. I never stop to talk to people in the hallway which is kind of lonely between classes. I only have about 10 minutes to get to them but I don't stop or chat along the way. My day goes like this: I get up do moring stuff go to school and come home and that is it. I never have time to do anything with other people on the weekends and I never get invited. Before anyone asks yes there are clubs at school but none joins them and none of them are interesting to me and I don't think that me joining a club is going to have a huge effect on the school. I feel lonely and isolated all the time, I have nowhere else to go when I am out of school. I don't live anywhere close. (Oh and by the way, this is a general re write of my other question I have on here.) I am also very lonely at times and I feel bad that none knows who I am.

Wow, that sounds almost exactly how my senior year in high school was. I was also seriously depressed. I have sympathy for you and wish I could help but I don't know what the answer is.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 12:09 am

pekkla wrote:
Yep. My son, who is 14 and in his first year of high school, had only one friend. He went to a huge school and couldn't take it so now hes in Independent Study (meetings with teachers and lots of home time). He is a little happier because he felt so lonely in the middle of a couple thousand people. He only had a couple "friends" from middle school but they never did anything with him outside class. (He hasn't had any real "school" friends since 4th grade). He has Aspergers but is also overweight, a double whammy. Bullying material. He is a gamer (WoW) and most of his friends are on that game. Without it I don't know what he would do. He tries to be friendly but it doesn't seem to work.

Are any of those gamers local (by chance, most probably not) that might be something to ask. Also the fact that there is a lot of interaction online with people means he is not becoming TOO isolated. If he still has one friend in real life than I wouldn't worry too much.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 9:20 pm

I'm invisible to about 98% of the students at my school. I'm not invisible to the teachers who know me though.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

daedal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2011, 2:46 am

No, not really. I mean, loads of people don't know my name, but it's a maths school and I take all Arts subjects, so thst figures. It's not like I'm going to plonk myself down in the middle of a group of people I don't know in the common room. After having 5 years of being autistic in a state school...I was more than happy to be completely invisible, as long as people didn't notice me. But my parents kept on saying I should make friends, and I did, and everyone is so friendly. No one's nasty and this 'cool' mentality doesn't seem to exist. If we're outside, people from my classes will wave and say hi. That kind of thing is great (except I have to wave back, and then probably wave myself off balance :) ) I was surprised that people in my class knew my name, because I'm still v. quiet, but I already have a reputation, it seems :roll: