Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

Why do my parents send text messages to each other and include me as a recipient for the entire conversation... its really annoying. They always have to do with something completely inconsequential like the sunset or some cute dog they saw somewhere. The thing is I don't have a texting plan so every time they send me a text message it costs $0.10, and they know this! I really don't mind them texting me if it is something important... $0.10 isn't that much money but these texts are not important at all.

The other night I was out to dinner with my dad and my mom sent us both the same text... we were sitting at the same table, if I wanted to see the text I could just look at it on my dads phone! Then my dad replies and I get that text and my mom replies back.... about $0.90 later I realize how pointless this is... why would you send text to two people that are literally sitting right next to each other when you know one of them gets charged for every text. It just doesn't make sense...

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 9:44 pm

I would say they are doing it to bug you :lol:

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 6:38 am

it costs you to recieve texts :?

my mum does this annoying thing of replying with just 'ok' even when it's completely unnecessary. i think she just likes having the last word.
and my dad writes texts like postcards 'Hi OBS, hope you are well, see you next weekend, love Dad.'

edit: oh and my nan does the ok thing too. i'm surprised they don't text 'over&out' sometimes

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2011, 7:51 am

Either have your phone company block texting on your phone or get a plan that's more inclusive.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 5:43 pm

Correction: It is $0.20 per sent/received text. :x

So I could spend the $10 and get a plan for it but.......... I don't plan on really using many texts. At $.20 a text if I send/receive less than 50 a month (which *should* be *way* more than I'll ever need) then its just cheaper to not have a plan. But my calculation is ruined if my parents keep CCing me or whatever on all their pointless conversations. I don't really want to block them from sending me texts because they have sent me important things via text message in the past (texting can be a lot easier than phone conversations sometimes... I just don't do either very often). I just don't understand why all of the sudden they have started doing this. I think my mom initiates this behavior and I kind of tried to tell my dad how it is annoying. I am just pretty sure if I tell my mom to stop she will take it the wrong way and get upset with me. Maybe I should just pay the extra $10 a month to avoid a fiasco.... idk.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 5:46 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:

my mum does this annoying thing of replying with just 'ok' even when it's completely unnecessary. i think she just likes having the last word.
and my dad writes texts like postcards 'Hi OBS, hope you are well, see you next weekend, love Dad.'

edit: oh and my nan does the ok thing too. i'm surprised they don't text 'over&out' sometimes

My mom does this too. She also gets upset if I don't text 'ok' back to her texts. I send a message like "What time will you be at XYZ" and she will say "I'll be there at 8:00" and then I'm supposed to text 'ok' back? why?

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 6:17 pm

FearOfMusic wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:

My mom does this too. She also gets upset if I don't text 'ok' back to her texts. I send a message like "What time will you be at XYZ" and she will say "I'll be there at 8:00" and then I'm supposed to text 'ok' back? why?

exactly. feel my pain brother

LornaDoone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2011, 8:15 pm

You can disable text messages on your phone. Most phones or even with your carrier.