After diagnosis of ASD- did you explain to you NT friends?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

butterfinger
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jan 2012, 3:39 am

Hi there,
I am wondering what experiences you have had with explaining ASD to NT friends, especially for teenagers newly diagnosed.
Did you explain to them what ASD is? Were they even interested to know? Were they more willing to cut you slack for possible social awkwardness after that? Do you think it is generally a good idea to let your NT friends know you are ASD and what that means?

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 3:51 am

Only if you feel comfortable or you trust them, some people don't have an understanding of what it is and if they do, they only hold a stereotypical view. I guess disclosing it is down to personal preference, if you can accept yourself and be comfortable in who you are, others will feel the same way. If people are hateful in the first place, they will use any weakness or excuse that makes you vulnerable to their advantage.

Nereid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2012, 5:49 am

when I ruled out that I probably had it, I only told the people that I trusted most and were closest two. They all were in doubt that I would have such a disorder, although they dont know much about it. When I tried describing the symptoms they just thought I was being a hypochondriac. Just be careful about who you tell. There are lots of people who just wont get it and wont bother to be understanding or willing to deal with it.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 8:39 am

i rarely give a full disclosure, but as soon as i come in contact with a new person, i explain some of the symptoms, if i think they might come into play in the situation i met the person.
if said new person is familiar with ASDs, he/she will usually let that know by not appearing surprised or even slat out saying so, at which point i'll fully disclose.

i consider simply mentioning the symptoms you think will be relevant the best balance between the positive and negative effects of both telling and keeping secret.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Jan 2012, 10:46 am

No I didn't tell anybody except for 2 friends who had suggested it in the first place. Oh and I told my sister-in-law, because she has experience with Asperger's. But it was a few years before I told anybody else. Then I bought a button that said, "I'm not ignoring you, I have autism." I wore it once on my cap to the grocery store and nobody got impatient with me - getting groceries is easier now. I don't wear the button every time. And then once I wore it to walk the dog, which got a lot of people off my back - walking the dog in the summertime is hideous, but not so bad if people know I'm not *trying* to do things all the backwards way around. I have to be careful not to give the impression that I think I'm "special" or anything. Most people willingly give me the extra minute for me to catch up with things.

But I'm retired now. I would *never* have told the office!

And for teens - my guess would be that there's too much peer pressure, being different is not a good idea at that age.