Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

gtw1983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2012, 11:22 pm

Someone has to constantly kick you in the ass,or you'll never get anything done?
When I lived with just my grandfather I would stay on the compute all day and never get anything done.
Now that I'm living with my friend and his family it seems like I'm more motivated to be social and do things around the house.It comes pretty easily now actually.But before I couldn't find any motivation to save my life.

Any one else feel this way?

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 2:09 am

That's what I'm told, but I refuse to believe it.

But they do not have me

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 2:56 am

gtw1983 wrote:

I used to feel that way, I used to lack motivation but now I find that setting myself realistic goals helps. I find that the best way to overcome this is to set yourself a set of realistic goals and aim towards achieving them by keeping track of your progress in a notebook. They can be physical, financial or academic goals but as long as you have goals, you will feel more focused and motivated in life.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 11:48 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
gtw1983 wrote:

I used to feel that way, I used to lack motivation but now I find that setting myself realistic goals helps. I find that the best way to overcome this is to set yourself a set of realistic goals and aim towards achieving them by keeping track of your progress in a notebook. They can be physical, financial or academic goals but as long as you have goals, you will feel more focused and motivated in life.

A great way to motivate yourself. I find that setting deadlines for these goals helps as well so that they aren't just sitting there, but you are actively persuing them. Making a list of rewards for yourself when you get one of these things done also helps.

The one thing I can't stress enough is keeping a regular schedule: so having the same routine, bedtime, and amount of sleep really helps. Something that is working for myself right now is dividing my day up into blocks and then filling them with all the things I need to do.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 10:46 am

Yes. I feel like it with job-searching. I never used to search for anything, and just make some BS up when I had my appointments in the jobcentre. I did feel guilty at the time, but I also knew it was lack of confidence, so I just left it at that. But now I have a close friend who is on job-seekers too and is finding it hard, so we go out and search for jobs together, and we take in turns asking in shops and other places for any current job vacancies, and so I feel like my friend is giving me a bit of a push into doing more things and building my confidence.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 12:21 pm

Off and on yeah. A boot up the backside is sometimes called for haha.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 3:43 pm

gtw1983 wrote:
Someone has to constantly kick you in the ass,or you'll never get anything done?
When I lived with just my grandfather I would stay on the compute all day and never get anything done.
Now that I'm living with my friend and his family it seems like I'm more motivated to be social and do things around the house.It comes pretty easily now actually.But before I couldn't find any motivation to save my life.

All the time. It's usually myself that has to give myself the boot.

Also the same: there's less friction towards swamping out the bathtub and toilet, cleaning the gunk off of the hard surfaces, and laundering your beddings to avoid your room smelling like "Amplified Human", when there's at least one other person living in the space.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 11:23 pm

As strange as it may seem, my imaginary friend does that. She metaphorically kicks me in the mental ass to get me to get started with stuff (usually don't have much trouble working on something once I get started. I just have trouble getting started).

LittlePapillon
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2012, 12:01 am

I had a comment I wanted to make but the last thing I remember is seeing Apera's post... then the icon... and... hm...

faerie_queene87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2012, 6:02 am

Titangeek wrote:
As strange as it may seem, my imaginary friend does that. She metaphorically kicks me in the mental ass to get me to get started with stuff (usually don't have much trouble working on something once I get started. I just have trouble getting started).

It is not strange at all. My counselor told me to think about an imaginary teacher to motivate me to write my thesis... I never managed to apply that, though :lol:

hadrian_f
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2012, 11:05 am

More and more. Lately I've been feeling more of a recluse and stress has become a major factor in my life. I've got exams next week and haven't even been able to get myself to look at the books. Humans are just not made to work when they're lonely I guess.

What also doesn't help is being ostracized from ones fellow classmates, I'm tolerated, that's it. I don't have any friends in class.

GodheadsLament1
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2012, 6:15 pm

It usually takes a lot for me to get up and really get anything done, I really have to push myself. I've noticed it most lately with looking into college and trying to get a job. I procrastinate a lot, especially with bigger things. A lot of it is that stuff can overwhelm me from the beginning, then it's harder to even get started. Lack of self-confidence is probably another big factor, and I'm often depressed and lack motivation.

Ungodly freak, defiler

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 7:54 pm

I feel most comfortable when I don't have to do anything, if i have to do anything i'm stressssed. call me non-24.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

22 Jan 2012, 5:58 pm

I used to think that I had some sort of pathological procrasination problem, now I realize it is due to autistic inertia (a real condition that causes us much of the problems you describe and is caused by severe transition issues.) I have a real hard time with getting stuck in one gear and switching activities can be very difficult for me.
I find that if I think pleasantly about my next activity and try not to stress about it and give myself a 20 minute warning that I need to change activities in 20 minutes, that it helps.
Also it helps to break up harder tasks into simpler sub-tasks and make a list of those sub tasks and cross them off as you do them. Something is very satisfying about crossing tasks off of a list.

Some people find breaking tasks down into 20 minute increments, so after 20 minutes, take a break...reward yourself with 10 min computer time, then do another 20 minutes after that so on until the task is done.
We autistics thrive with immediate positive reinforcement and delayed gratification is not a good motivator for most of us.

Hope that helps. I also play upbeat music when I am working on a boring task, like cleaning or doing dishes...it helps me keep my focus.

Jojo