Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

RocketSurgeon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2012, 4:04 pm

If you don't already know, Kayfabe is a term used in pro wrestling where you live your on stage / in ring persona strictly. You were actually Best Man at the wedding of the guy you're currently kicking in the kidneys but you can't let anyone know... Sometimes they get really hurt, and they break Kayfabe, and give up the illusion for the health of the "opponent" or something.

So, anyway... how often do you break Kayfabe in life? So often I've been playing along with life, getting to know people, and I've wanted to say things like "Hey, so... I like you, and I want to be your friend and go bowling or drinking or something, what do you say?". I try to stop myself, and usually do, but there's been many a time at a party when I've been saying "You know, I never know how to make small talk..." to someone I don't really know.

I learnt a long time ago that there is, even outside of romantic relationships, a lot of genuine benefit in going the long way round and having friendships form much more naturally, but sometimes I just want to cut to the chase, especially when I have limited time to try to get something out of a situation.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Jan 2012, 4:33 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Social Skills and Making Friends]

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 5:20 pm

RocketSurgeon wrote:
If you don't already know, Kayfabe is a term used in pro wrestling where you live your on stage / in ring persona strictly. You were actually Best Man at the wedding of the guy you're currently kicking in the kidneys but you can't let anyone know... Sometimes they get really hurt, and they break Kayfabe, and give up the illusion for the health of the "opponent" or something.

So, anyway... how often do you break Kayfabe in life? So often I've been playing along with life, getting to know people, and I've wanted to say things like "Hey, so... I like you, and I want to be your friend and go bowling or drinking or something, what do you say?". I try to stop myself, and usually do, but there's been many a time at a party when I've been saying "You know, I never know how to make small talk..." to someone I don't really know.

I learnt a long time ago that there is, even outside of romantic relationships, a lot of genuine benefit in going the long way round and having friendships form much more naturally, but sometimes I just want to cut to the chase, especially when I have limited time to try to get something out of a situation.

I think I know what ya mean. In terms of socializing and such, I tend to call it putting up a facade. and yeah Ive had that same exact moment before as well, but as for why id deny myself the interaction, its more out of embarrassment (I don't drive and live with my parents, so yeah. It is basically social suicide to live as such in the united states). I have gotten asked to go to functions and stuff when I was working as well and id just deny it all to avoid embarassment.

All my real friendships though were from me making on the fly decisions (Group I have been with the longest (since I was 16), was because I saw a bunch of people playing Yugioh back in the day and asked what deck they were running.)

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

monkeyspellcop
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jan 2012, 7:30 pm

I think it's important to have friends that you can let down the facade with. You need to keep it up sometimes, but I like having some people that if I feel awkward, I can just tell them I feel awkward :)

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 12:51 am

I feel like there's two of me. I'd like to meld the frequencies and be just one person. Both facades have felt real at different points, but right now they both feel fake. I know the real me is somewhere in between.