Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 10:57 am

Especially Mothers Day, Fathers Day, and Valentines (holidays created for relationships). They are created by society. Artificial. Yes, they are intended as a way of celebrating your love for someone, but then the holiday becomes an obligation. An obligation to display your affection or consideration in an artificial manner.

I'm not calling for the holidays to be abolished; I'm just expressing personal frustration with them. I don't have a good relationship with either parent, so feeling like I have to send them cards for mothers or fathers day just makes our relationship feel even more artificial to me.

I enjoy Christmas, but it's hard to really enjoy the exchange of gifts, as Sheldon illustrates in the video. Birthdays I don't mind so much, because the gift giving is one way.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e2glhfGf-o[/youtube]

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 11:35 am

I agree, you should be respecting and showing love to your family everyday. These days are just for stores to make their money. Saying that, I still do try and get my mum and dad something on Mothers Day and Fathers Day. To me it just adds more stress, it's more money that I have to come up that I don't have. I guess you could help them out with something but you should be doing that every time you see them anyway.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 11:37 am

So what if it's all for money and business live off it blah blah, I find them fun.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 12:31 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
I guess you could help them out with something but you should be doing that every time you see them anyway.

Problem is, I don't see them often, partly because I live thousands of miles away, and mostly because there's dysfunction/trauma/emotional abuse involved. I just can't trust my heart with them any more. I cut them off for a couple years actually.

MONKEY wrote:
So what if it's all for money and business live off it blah blah, I find them fun.

Hey, if you enjoy them, you enjoy them. I certainly do enjoy certain holidays, even if they are exploited. Christmas and Halloween are probably my favorites.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 12:36 pm

By the way MONKEY, way to go on being a lover of apes and related such things. I'm obsessed with primates/apes/humans/evolution as well. I'm always happy to see someone with a similar special interest to one of my own.