Overcoming or dispelling the "creep" factor online

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 7:25 pm

Personally, I don't have a problem making friends IRL. It's more trying to initiate something online. I usually don't worry about this too much with the friends and acquaintances I currently have, but when it comes to meeting new people online for the first time, I simply get overly anxious and don't even try for fears of scaring the other person and coming off as "creepy". I'm wondering if there's any way to be rid of the whole "creep" factor when dealing with online acquaintanceship?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 8:26 pm

i've never worried about it, as i'm nice and by far and away most of the folks i've met online are nice. creeps out themselves by breaking the rules, as on wrong planet, asking for an outside email address. are you generally a worrier?

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2012, 9:02 pm

It's a lot about being observant on the other party, and to have some experience in how to respond to it. And some people are just duds, go for the next one.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 9:59 pm

cathylynn wrote:
i've never worried about it, as i'm nice and by far and away most of the folks i've met online are nice. creeps out themselves by breaking the rules, as on wrong planet, asking for an outside email address. are you generally a worrier?

Generally, I can be, yeah, if I can't find something that makes me comfortable about a particular scenario.

EDIT: It's also probably worth mentioning most of the social interacting I do is with NT's, so I'm usually having to double-, triple-, and quadruple- check almost everything I say/do to make sure there isn't any form of misunderstandings, and even then, there's still room for error :?

Last edited by AScomposer13413 on 13 Apr 2012, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 10:00 pm

Keyman wrote:
It's a lot about being observant on the other party, and to have some experience in how to respond to it. And some people are just duds, go for the next one.

Observant of a party that might not even decide to respond? :?

Reynaert
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Apr 2012, 4:19 am

Keyman wrote:
And some people are just duds, go for the next one.

This. Exactly this. That's the general mentality going around, it seems. You make one little mistake in an online conversation, and boom, they move on to the next one. No wonder people are getting very anxious when meeting someone new online.

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2012, 5:49 am

AScomposer13413 wrote:

The observation comes into play when reading a profile etc. So that you start of correctly. They will reply to someone, it might as well be you.

Reynaert wrote:
You make one little mistake in an online conversation, and boom, they move on to the next one. No wonder people are getting very anxious when meeting someone new online.

You place to much value into the contact. If there's an interesting conversation they will stay around even if you make a minor "mistake". Or it might simple be that they are clueless on your value and ain't worth your time.

Anyway, regarding this matter. Context is important. Is it about technical discussions? party buddies? group work? romance? sex? going to museum together etc?

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:33 pm

Keyman wrote:
AScomposer13413 wrote:

The observation comes into play when reading a profile etc. So that you start of correctly. They will reply to someone, it might as well be you.

Reynaert wrote:
You make one little mistake in an online conversation, and boom, they move on to the next one. No wonder people are getting very anxious when meeting someone new online.

You place to much value into the contact. If there's an interesting conversation they will stay around even if you make a minor "mistake". Or it might simple be that they are clueless on your value and ain't worth your time.

Anyway, regarding this matter. Context is important. Is it about technical discussions? party buddies? group work? romance? sex? going to museum together etc?

Simply trying to get something going. That's it. While I could probably go off and explain who am I and whatnot, I'm not sure that's much for the other person to work with :?