Do most people share their feeling/thoughts with parents?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 8:12 pm

By most people I don't mean most people on hear, just most people in general. I remember my brother telling my parents about most crushes he had. Once in a while they would ask me and I would just shrug. I might tell them a story about something funny that happened at school, but I don't remember ever willingly telling them something that I thought was important.

The_Postmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2012, 9:34 pm

I can't speak for the NT population, but I am the same way. They've learned not to ask me personal questions, because sometimes I just don't answer, sometimes I give a very vague answer, but every time it's clear I don't want to answer.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 9:50 pm

They're about the only people I do share my feelings with

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 9:56 pm

I think that's how normal parent/child relationships are supposed to be like.

I wouldn't know myself, I've never shared anything with my mother and after a while she stopped being interested anyway *shrugs*

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:37 pm

I don't tell my mother things like that anymore. All she ever does is try and invalidate my feelings, minimize whatever I'm concerned about, turn it around to where it's somehow reflecting badly on me, try and trump me with something worse if what I'm sharing is bad, or use it against me later.

When I was a kid and afterwards I tried not to tell her certain things because she would always get so overly emotional over everything. It was like she was in a show, it was always so overdone as if she yearned for drama so much that she would turn the most minor thing into a tragedy or the smallest achievement into a world renouned accomplishment.

I've always tried to be more middle of the road with my kids and I've done a good job if I do say so myself. I've always had a great relationship with them and the only bad thing is that my oldest son went nuts and started hating me and my husband and oldest daughter after he got with that dopehead baby mama of his. I try not to overreact or underreact and I'm pretty laid back about most things and I do try to always be honest with them.

I wish I could have had the kind of relationship with my mother that my kids have with me.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

music1988
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2012, 12:53 am

I used to try and tell my parents (esp. my mother) my thoughts and feelings. Everytime I tried, she would usually just belittle me, laugh at me, or tell me "that's not the right way to think", "you're so unemotional" blah blah. Occasionally she would physically hurt me also. So after awhile, I've stopped telling her things. We certaintly don't have the best relationship. I think i resent her abit. When she talks to other people, she always acts like poor me, I have an autistic daughter and tells them basically what a terrible person I am because of the autism. I do this wrong, I do that wrong. She has to put up with me, etc. I think the reason i don't tell them things anymore is more to do with how they treat me, rather than the autism. I can and do share my thoughts and feelings with my friend. It might take me a little while to explain my feelings and thoughts, but she is pretty patient and understanding. She understands if I shutdown and don't want to talk about the situation for a little while to get my head round it and try to make sense of whatever it is. My parents, on the other hand, think I'm being rude and yell at me. If my parents were more understanding and accepting of my condition, I think our relationship would be very different.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 12:56 am

I find it very hard to talk to my parents about my feelings. It used to be that if I talked to my mother about my feelings and problems, she'd minimize my problems and my feelings. I hardly share anything emotional with her any more.

BMctav
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2012, 4:52 am

Delphiki wrote:
By most people I don't mean most people on hear, just most people in general.

The world's a big place with lots of parents and children all with their own relationship dynamics. Who can say?

My mum and I share out feelings/thoughts with each other.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 5:34 am

I don't mind sharing casual stuff with them, but tend to keep more serious, and more personal stuff to myself. They tend to see some things differently than I do, and will hassle me on serious and personal stuff, so it's best to keep some stuff to myself.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 3:17 pm

questor wrote:
I don't mind sharing casual stuff with them, but tend to keep more serious, and more personal stuff to myself. They tend to see some things differently than I do, and will hassle me on serious and personal stuff, so it's best to keep some stuff to myself.

Sort of like this for me. I probably dont talk to them enough, and when I do so it is not usually something important. We never talk about feelings etc.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 6:15 pm

I remember coming home and telling my mother about seeing another kid get into trouble or another kid picking on me calling me names. I remember asking her if I was ret*d and she said no. But I didn't always tell her stuff. I remember coming home from school and telling her about my friends being mean to me and telling me to go away or how kids were saying I stink.

Now I don't share much about myself anymore to my mother and I don't even talk to her much either. I don't like her telling me how to live my life and there are just things I like to keep personal and she doesn't have to know everything about me.