Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

dontask
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 May 2012, 9:36 pm

I Don't Want Friends Anyway? but I am finding myself in difficult situations in college because I don't explore social situations like most people my own age. I am 23 second year pre-med. All of the students in my classes can easily be generalized as non-coherent arrogant individuals with a capacity for madness. Okay so maybe I am exaggerating and venting a little but it seems like they all have the same mindset. It annoys me because the things they talk about I seldom understand, my only friend is the teacher and I am assuming that's only because we are on the same mentality level. He also enjoys the fact that I hold information like an encyclopaedia and tend to repeat it in the same fashion that I read it.

I also have another problem I am wondering if this has to do with aspergers traits or perhaps I am just all together filled with nonsensical banter. At times I can be extremely random, not in a funny way but more like "What did she just say?" or "What the hell is she talking about?"

Take for instance when I was a assigned to a six team group in the library, someone brought up the subject of the fall of Constantinople.

And I said "Julius Ceaser once said the most preferable death would be an unexpected one"

Well it was embarrassing ( I mean it was embarrassing 20 minutes later when I realized it wasn't an appropriate thing to say)

So my main question is does anyone else have similar issues?

Mankey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2012, 10:07 pm

I often quote things that I feel are relative but in hindsight were probably better left unspoken. My experience with dealing with NTs is hate to say it, but pretend you like the things they do and understand them, but in reality their concerns are so minuscule in the larger picture.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 10:20 pm

Mankey wrote:
I often quote things that I feel are relative but in hindsight were probably better left unspoken. My experience with dealing with NTs is hate to say it, but pretend you like the things they do and understand them, but in reality their concerns are so minuscule in the larger picture.

They are just ants for us to stomp on

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 12:30 am

I would certainly have bantered at the subject of the fall of Constantinople. Hell, my phone number ends in 1453!

I don't see how what you said was inappropriate, though. (Apart from the fact that Julius Caesar is only mildly related to the end of the Roman Empire.)

writer_mom
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 May 2012, 2:59 pm

I can relate. I honestly stick to my husband these days because I have found I feel horrible with other people. I can't relate to them much at all because I am not the typical girl who likes fashion, parties, social activities (because I can't fit in), or really care about tends, or most tv shows if they have no educational value or at least something philosophical/deep about them.
I have said off the wall things in conversations and felt horrible because I can tell it fell flat. I get the feeling I am not wanted or just around to be secretly laughed at. After being used several times I just became a shut-in. I understand how you feel.

BMctav
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2012, 3:57 pm

Mankey wrote:

There is no NT in existence, now or ever, who has had a larger concern than anyone on the autism spectrum. :roll:

Now I must be on my way to mash potatoes with my forehead or whatever it is that you think NTs do in the larger picture.

:lol: