Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2012, 2:08 am

As a child, I had a speech disorder: I couldn't pronounce the R or the S.

Anyone had a similar problem? Is it part of autism?

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2012, 3:42 am

There are speech issues - I have forever been asked if I only recently moved to the states due to my accent. I was born and raised in America. If I am around people with strong accents I will then talk in almost complete replica of their accent. I got into a lot of trouble with my now ex hubby in Paris. He kept asking why I was making fun of every one! I now have learned it is considered "the aspie accent"

I also instead of using words will use tons of sounds - I can not remake these sounds on demand, they have to be spontaneous.

Then there is Mutism - put me in a stressful situation and I lose the ability to speak entirely.

Or saying the opposite or another word that begins with the same sounds.

Saying you instead of I etc (this one really frustrates me)

These are not issues per-say related to pronunciation - but indeed are issues involving speech.

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2012, 4:16 am

Haha

Didn't realise anyone else did that: replicating others accents! I got asked if I was a tour guide in America when we went on holiday!

Is that an Aspie thing then? Like echolalia?

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2012, 5:13 am

I guess so lol.. My work recently hired another Aspie and her accent was so strong I thought she was raised in like Georgia or something.. Nope.. she has never left Oregon lol... I have read it somewhere too

Quoted from http://www.aspergerchild.com/1089/what- ... rome?.aspx :

(iii) Children with Asperger's Syndrome may

speak very quickly
adopt a foreign accent for their speaking voice
speak with an unusual prosody or tone of voice

Then duly noted by me:
Children grow up with all said issues still in tact lol :)

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2012, 5:59 am

rpcarnell wrote:
As a child, I had a speech disorder: I couldn't pronounce the R or the S.

Anyone had a similar problem? Is it part of autism?

This is a very common speech disorder, and is not necessarily due to autism. Usually, when people refer to speech issues related to autism it is more communication related, rather than pronunciation related. Thus, issues of pragmatics of speech, prosody, expressive and receptive language, are the focus, rather than the pronunciation of specific sounds.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 7:47 am

There are all sorts of reasons why someone with autism could have speech difficulties. One of them is verbal dyspraxia, which can be co-morbid. I know a little boy, being assessed for autism just now, who has dyspraxia. But, he quite obviously has verbal dyspraxia too. His tongue doesn't appear to move the way it should, to make the relevant sounds, he has a lisp and dribbles quite a bit (he's 7). I know another boy who is diagnosed with Aspergers. His voice is a couple of octaves higher than his twin brother's and he has an unusual 'accent'. He doesn't sound like he comes from anywhere in particular, but the way he pronounces certain words is not the same as for other people who live here.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 10:18 am

I didn't speak unless i was 4, and then uttered numbers and individual letters. Both facts led to me being diagnosed as mentally ret*d. However, thanks to my grandmother I learned reading (and some writing) when I was five and subsequently read almost all the time.

Throughout the years I had lots of speech therapy but to only little avail. I can't find the words I want to say, they are hidden. However, I can easily find them on the keyboard.

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
... but the way he pronounces certain words is not the same as for other people who live here.

Same here, and funny was, I had an online aspie friend and she wanted to talk but I hesitated since I know I sound like a fool. Eventually I yielded, though reluctantly, but beforehand told her about my speech problems. Seemingly she understood, yet after three or so conversations she said I would speak a strange dialect ... I never talked to her again. Seriously, I can do without verbal communication.

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2012, 2:16 pm

This is pretty common with people on the spectrum. I'd have to dig up the journal article, but there was a study done about it. Basically it means that when you get super stressed (or tired) as an adult, you may have speaking problems until you feel better. Same thing happens with NT people who have speaking problems.

I accidentally offended someone in the parents forum who was talking about their small child who was not speaking "appropriately" when spoken to (and also the kid supposedly couldn't understand anyone). I recommended the parent come to the adults section and talk to some adults on the spectrum so she'd see that the behaviors that were upsetting her are just things kids grow out of. But everything I said seemed to upset her so I gave up.

My little brother has HFA and he had some pretty "creative" ways of communicating, like making up words or dancing around as a response. But if you know what the kid means, who cares? When my brother was 7 or 8 he just started speaking in full adult sentences, no problem. He started reading around the same time, after picking it up on his own.

It's a shame some people don't listen to alternative communication. Like that dude Wittgenstein said: "If a lion could speak, no one could understand him."

Jeanna
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Oct 2012, 7:18 am

Bonafan wrote:
Haha

Didn't realise anyone else did that: replicating others accents! I got asked if I was a tour guide in America when we went on holiday!

That's interesting... I usually start talking like the person I'm having a conversation with. Don't even try or notice I'm changing my accent, it just happens. Makes talking to several different people at the same time rather confusing.

Then again, my "real" accent isn't even real, and I have no idea where it came from. I've had people ask me if I lived/studied overseas.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 10:10 am

My speech was delayed and didn't start speaking until i was 6 years old.

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2012, 9:13 pm

I had trouble with "sh" and "ch" sounds when I was younger, but I don't remember too much about it other than going to speech therapy sessions.

rosemund
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2012, 10:37 am

Jeanna wrote:
Bonafan wrote:
Haha

That's interesting... I usually start talking like the person I'm having a conversation with. Don't even try or notice I'm changing my accent, it just happens. Makes talking to several different people at the same time rather confusing.

Then again, my "real" accent isn't even real, and I have no idea where it came from. I've had people ask me if I lived/studied overseas.

^This.

I have trouble watching movies that take place in locations with accents, because halfway through, I end up with the same accent. My own accent is a mash-up of ones from the region where I live, but it may be because I moved into my grandparents' home when I was four, so I have accents from all over the South. My daughter, who is also an Aspie, does the same thing.

As for actual speech problems, I can't pronounce words that have either "M" or "N" and "a" together, like "mama" or "nanah". My daughter's name is pronounced "Ahnna", because I can't say it the way most people do. People think she is mistaken on the pronunciation, because we don't say "An". It happened a couple of days ago, and she is fourteen.