Does anyone ever feel the need to start over?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Confuddlement
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2012, 4:51 am

I am forever feeling the urge to move to another country and just start over, it is mainly due to the people here. They are so social! I can't seem to fit in with them and I always end up as an observer to their conversations. Plus the information on autism in Northern Ireland is terrible. I have an excuse to move away when I start university. But should I? Would it end up being worse for me socially? I am worried that I will go and realise I need my family etc and be even worse. And where is the best place for an aspie to go to university and find like minded people?

omega26
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2012, 4:53 am

I can relate to this. I am start over as well by going to a university. I live in the US and after traveling the US for quite some time I have found out that the current location I live in just plain sucks compared to the other parts of the country and the southwest of the US was my favorite, a lot of really nice people. I would said your best bet is to travel, and get a felt of what other locations are like. If this helps any, the US has a lot of diversity , so you can get a little bit of everything over here, I would recommend going to the big cities, if you want to see a lot of diversity.

Confuddlement

12 Aug 2012, 9:25 am

I heard that the US is the best place for autistic people to live because of all of the support, is that true? If so where is the best place in the US?

IrishTusk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2012, 10:29 am

Mate, Am From Northern Ireland and am officaly Diagnosed. All I can say is leave, Honestly am Proud of my culture and heretige but I would never go back to Armagh. If you can do it try and head to the US, I stay in scotland no one knows what Aspergers is either really. But It's generaly nicer than N.I

Confuddlement

12 Aug 2012, 10:37 am

IrishTusk wrote:
Mate, Am From Northern Ireland and am officaly Diagnosed. All I can say is leave, Honestly am Proud of my culture and heretige but I would never go back to Armagh. If you can do it try and head to the US, I stay in scotland no one knows what Aspergers is either really. But It's generaly nicer than N.I

Haha its so weird, you are the first person from NI I have seen on this!

omega26
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2012, 6:04 pm

A lot of the Major cities have a lot support for autistic people but if I had to choose I would choose Los Angeles

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 8:26 pm

Confuddlement wrote:
I heard that the US is the best place for autistic people to live because of all of the support, is that true? If so where is the best place in the US?

Canada is pretty good too. York University in Toronto currently has an ASD support group and mentorship program (individual mentor meets with you once a week) which is free for all students with a diagnosed ASD. Canada rules eh? :D

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 8:32 pm

Honestly, people are social anywhere you go. Do you have any friends where you are? Keep in mind that moving somewhere new means you will be totally alone.

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2012, 9:49 pm

All the time OP. At some point I gotta be okay with my quirks.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 11:34 pm

I would like to move somewhere else, I don't even care if it's just a different city. Starting over sound so nice. New people...A new scene. Some people might call it running away, but after what I've gone through here, I don't care what any of those people think, they don't know. I can imagine moving away to somewhere new and nicer would seem like a permanent vacation.

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2012, 12:49 am

Pondering wrote:
I would like to move somewhere else, I don't even care if it's just a different city. Starting over sound so nice. New people...A new scene. Some people might call it running away, but after what I've gone through here, I don't care what any of those people think, they don't know. I can imagine moving away to somewhere new and nicer would seem like a permanent vacation.

That's the battle we all face. I'd add to it that we have to accept our qwirks.

Sidmor
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2012, 3:58 am

Move to Finland if you need to get away from those silly social people :)

http://www.ediplomat.com/np/cultural_et ... /ce_fi.htm

■Keep some physical distance from Finns. Respect their shyness and desire for privacy. Do not engage a Finn in conversation on a bus or in a line, restaurant or other public places.

■Never hug, kiss or touch a Finn.

■Finns do not make small talk; they get right to business.

■Two- to three-minute pauses of silence are common. Don't interrupt this silence.

■Do not show emotions in public.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 4:36 am

The thing about the US is that, while we do have the best healthcare in the world, it's not cheap. We innovate because people pay for the innovations here. So while technically you can get better treatment here for any disease or disorder than you can anywhere else in the world, that is only true if you have the money to pay for it. If you are poor but not indigent, like I am, then healthcare gets very expensive. It can easily cost you a decade's worth of income in a short amount of time if you have a major issue like cancer or an accident. Also, with the new healthcare law, you can now be fined for not being able to afford to buy health insurance. Plus, doctors are leaving practice in droves trying to beat the implementation of this new law and it's ramifications for their income. This is because while the government can do things to limit compensation for doctors, it did nothing to limit the cost of malpractice insurance. Thus it is not profitable to be in the business anymore for many doctors currently in private practice.