Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Oct 2012, 7:34 pm

I have a friend, the greatest friend ever. She understands and across me for who and what I am and I can tell her almost anything or at least email out text her anything, but when I converse with her I get really nervous. Does anyone else encounter that feeling in similar situations or is there something wrong with me?

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 1:59 pm

There's nothing really "wrong" with you, but it just seems that you have social anxiety: meaning you'll feel nervous or tensed up while in person with her. Fortunately, it can be worked around, but I don't think your friend seems to mind it as you are close with her and she accepts you for you who are.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

MrObvious
Raven
Raven

03 Nov 2012, 2:14 pm

You probably want it more than platonic.

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2012, 4:14 pm

MrObvious wrote:

I do not, I get nervous around other people as well.

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2012, 4:15 pm

MrObvious wrote:

I do not, I get nervous around other people as well.

MrObvious
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2012, 2:24 pm

It may be several things:

1) My initial theory of more than platonic feelings developing, which are quite natural between a male and female who are friends. Only you can answer that. Don't dismiss the possibility because you want to keep things strictly platonic.
2) Social anxiety.
3) It's hard to make eye contact to tell her how you feel, because she can read your emotions through your eyes and it's a lot of stimuli to aspies at first until we get used to it.
4) You have a secret you want to hide from her you don't want her finding out about.

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2012, 8:06 pm

I think it is social anxiety, perhaps it could be the fear of letting her down that I felt when she was my supervisor, she also trained me on the original contract I worked when I started as a temp over five years ago. On another note I used to be extremely nervous around a coworker who was also a friend with whom I have much in common and that was at least partially because I wanted that relationship to be more than platonic, after she left her loser husband she moved to The Sandwich Islands (Hawaii but it is for the best because I would never be worthy for one such as her (nerdy, cute, she like cats and she is a fellow athiest).

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 8:18 pm

ArthurDent wrote:
I think it is social anxiety, perhaps it could be the fear of letting her down that I felt when she was my supervisor, she also trained me on the original contract I worked when I started as a temp over five years ago. On another note I used to be extremely nervous around a coworker who was also a friend with whom I have much in common and that was at least partially because I wanted that relationship to be more than platonic, after she left her loser husband she moved to The Sandwich Islands (Hawaii but it is for the best because I would never be worthy for one such as her (nerdy, cute, she like cats and she is a fellow athiest).

How can you know when you never asked the coworker?

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2012, 8:47 pm

PastFixations wrote:
ArthurDent wrote:

How can you know when you never asked the coworker?

She was married when she was my coworker and asking out a married woman, even one who stated a desire for a boyfriend is improper also no romantic entanglement would have survived if she expressed an interest in certain physical activities (anything beyond a handshake makes me uncomfortable except the Vulcan public display of affection(that would be nice)).

FiftyFifty
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Nov 2012, 8:26 am

No way! :-) There's definitely nothing wrong with you, so put that thought out of your mind. It's not uncommon for people, especially those with AS, to feel awkward in social situations -- especially when it's someone to whom we feel particularly close to or hold in high regard. This is especially true when that person is of the opposite sex.

What often works for people in order to overcome those feelings of nervousness is to confront them. If it's appropriate for the kind of relationship you have with that person, spending extended amounts of time with them in different settings can help wear away at the anxiety and awkwardness.