Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2012, 4:41 am

I've got myself into a bit of a mess and could use some advice to let me know whether I acted like an idiot or not..

So I just broke up with my boyfriend. We've been living together like bachelors for a long time, and decided that a relationship just wasn't working. No bad feelings, we just decided to call it a day. We had been discussing with a colleague/friend of mine about moving in with her. We decided that still made sense and took it a bit further by setting a date for her to move in.

As I'm aspie, I find my emotions pretty difficult to pin down and understand. I've had an uneasy feeling, which I put down to all this change, but my ex said he had the same feeling. We decided it was best that we don't move my friend in, and that I go and stay with my Mum for a bit. I went and saw some friends from back home yesterday and felt this pull back to that area. I think I just need to be around friends and family (even though I have a rocky relationship with my family).

So I told the friend this. I apologised for messing her around. I know it puts her in a bad situation, but we suggested that she get housed within the same scheme that we're in now. Then if we decide we still want to live together, we can move a bit later. I know I just need some time to ensure I'm not just looking at a good practical solution, but that it's going to be something which isn't going to stress us all out. My anxiety levels are quite high at the moment anyway and I don't want to end up locked into a contract, spending a lot of money on rent and living in a situation I can't stand.

She texted back saying something like "At least consider still living with me. That's all I have to say."
To me, this sounds like she's pissed off. We had said from the start, both ways, that anyone could pull out at any time with no hard feelings. I have to work with her still and I still like her as a person, and living with her is still on the cards, I just need more time.

Did I act like a pr*ck? And is she angry at me?

singularity
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2012, 8:17 am

It's really hard to figure out if people are angry in text messages. I like to text because they're short, concise communications, but sometimes people think I'm angry, just because the messages can be so terse. But I think your friend might be thinking you're having second thoughts about continuing to live with your ex-boyfriend, and she's offering you the alternative of you and she being room mates without him.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 9:25 am

I think that most likely she's mad that you backed out after setting a date.

If she had been planning on having you and your boyfriend live with her, and now your not, she's got to go back to the drawing board, especially if she needs the additional income from you guys paying rent.