Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:23 pm

Anyone else like this?

Sliceracer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2013, 3:45 pm

irl yes I hate groups especially if I only know a few people in them, but on Skype or something it don't really worry me to much coz I can just quit it if things get 2 much.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 5:32 pm

yes!!

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 5:36 pm

1-on-1 isn't my preferred actually, i prefer there being 3 people, myself included, so there wont be silences when i am at a loss for words.
that being said, a total of 5 is too much already, so a preferred/optimum is quite thin, either 2 or 3 other people and me for comfort...

gigstalksguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2013, 5:53 pm

Well one-on-one is straight-forward, however you do have to put more work in to keep the conversation flowing.

I think groups can be easier or harder depending on the dynamic of them. If its a clichey bunch of close knit-friends I agree it can be harder to feel included. However, I find it is far easier approaching a group of 2-4 girls in a pub than it is approaching one girl on her own. To handle groups you need to include everyone.

A good tip is, when you join a group people you don't know, start by asking them how they know each other, or better still, make an assumption i.e. "you look like sisters?" This way you should start to feel included. :D

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2013, 8:35 pm

I agree with groups of three, myself included. When socializing, it gives me ample breaks to catch my mental breath and when I do finally have something interesting to say, I get twice the input. Now, if we're talking about giving a presentation to one teacher, or multiple teachers/students or seeing a single therapist or being observed by multiple therapists...I'd take one, anyday.

g2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2013, 9:16 pm

It depends on how comfortable I feel with the people, and how talkative or not I'm feeling.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 10:09 pm

yes I feel better when its one on one I don't like groups all that much.
I feel I can learn a bit more when its only one person teaching me.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 6:22 am

Depends who's in the group, too.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 7:24 am

Depends on the group. Sometimes with 5 people 2 conversations get going. If I try to follow one the other conversation is distracting.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 7:47 am

1 ~ 2 hours is enough, then I need to go home to be alone for a while. Probably sleep.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 8:58 am

It depends on how well I know the others in the group. I had a friend who had lots of other friends that I didn't know and when several of them all got together, I felt left out and bored.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 3:01 pm

Depends on how many people are in the group and how well I know them or if they seem like the type who may judge me.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

MrKnowItAll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2013, 3:55 pm

When I was a kid if a group of more than four of us got together I went home early. Even among kids I got along with well in a smaller group, I knew that if there were more than four, sooner or later I would end up on the outside looking in and sometimes through tears.

BookPerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2013, 6:54 pm

Depends on my mood and the people. If they are all very close friends and know me (assuming I'm in the right mood), then no problem. Otherwise, it feels at times like I'm not really part of the group or like I'm fading into the background. For some reason, I'm generally all right with two other people, but more than that can be as descrbied.

ProbablyNotNormal
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2013, 7:26 pm

I'm most often comfortable with one or two other people. A group of four is stretching it for me.