Page 5 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

thewrite1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2013, 7:17 pm

"Boys will be boys." So basically boys are supposed to be overaggressive as*holes who make fun of 'weird' girls like myself? -was bullied from fourth grade to senior year of high school-

"You need help." I have Asperger's, OCD, and ADHD. Of COURSE I need help! :x

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 10:32 pm

thewrite1 wrote:
"Boys will be boys." So basically boys are supposed to be overaggressive as*holes who make fun of 'weird' girls like myself? -was bullied from fourth grade to senior year of high school-

I dislike this one, too.... both the way that it implies that because of gender a whole group of people are inherently immoral or poorly behaved.... and that way that implicit support is given to males who behave in such a manner (often beyond the point of adulthood), often even by their teachers or parents.

I looked on Google just now, and found this article about it which you may find interesting -
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/04/AR2006020400220.html

article wrote:
Consider, though, what "boys will be boys" thinking implies about the true nature of boys. I often ask groups of adults or students what inherent traits or characteristics the expression implies. The answers typically are astonishingly negative: Boys are messy, immature and selfish; hormone-driven and insensitive; irresponsible and trouble-making; rebellious, rude, aggressive and disrespectful -- even violent, predatory and animal-like.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 2:49 am

"Smile, it might never happen"

I seem to get this said to me on a weekly basis, cant NTs think of something else to say, doesn't it occur to them Iam not smiling because I want "it" to happen, and realise it never will?

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2013, 3:43 am

This one:

"How are you?"

One of these days I am going to answer, "Well, my mom died. My dog committed suicide by jumping in front of a moving car. My house caught fire, and I have cancer in my balls. And by the way, how are you?"

havoc
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Aug 2013, 8:00 am

isometry wrote:
I find it strange when people wish each other good luck before playing a board game tournament match. I can't think of any interpretation that would be something I would want to say to my opponent.

-Do I think he needs luck to be able to defeat me? That seems a bit arrogant.
-It is not a game of chance anyway.
-Arguably there is still an element of luck, but if I am going to lose, I want it to happen because my opponent is more skilled, not lucky.

Wishing good luck to an opponent before competition about good sportsmanship. Its about being content regardless of who wins and each player doing their best, unless it is said in a rude tone in which case the person is really saying "you have no chance".

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 8:15 am

"Happy birthday!"

Why are you congratulating me? It is not like I am responsible for Earth's orbit around the Sun.

Another one, whenever I have an exam at any educational institution:

"Good luck!"

The institution wants to test our knowledge, you idiot. In a very ineffective way, true, but still, luck has little to do with it.

And greeting people. You saw me, I saw you. Do we really have to acknowledge it? Regardless, I am aware of the consequences of not greeting people, therefore, I always say "good morning" to no one in particular when I arrive at my workplace.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

thewrite1

04 Aug 2013, 9:14 pm

Magnus_Rex wrote:
"Happy birthday!"

Why are you congratulating me? It is not like I am responsible for Earth's orbit around the Sun.

Another one, whenever I have an exam at any educational institution:

"Good luck!"

The whole 'Happy birthday' thing, in my opinion, basically translates into, "I'm glad that you've been alive for so long!", if that makes any sense... :lol:

As for "Good Luck!", it's just a convention for politeness, just to show that you hope the person does well on the exam.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 3:34 am

You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 12:01 pm

Moondust wrote:
"You must go with the flow"
"You must think positive"

Heh, I actually live by these two quotes... it would be annoying if someone kept saying this to me, but this is good advice to follow, in my opinion.

Sheerboredom wrote:
-Yolo (you only live once)
-Swag
- Anything with a hash tag (#)
I don't find these annoying, just hilarious. YOLO is a good motivational thing to say, people just use it as an excuse for doing stupid things, which is not cool but somewhat funny.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

omegatyrant

06 Aug 2013, 10:15 pm

Yeah, like the OP, I hate the whole "social animals" thing.

I also hate:

1) When young girls keep saying "like" 17 times in one sentence with that overly nasal voice.

2) "Oh don't worry about what they said. He/she was just drunk."

3) Words like swag

4) "Deja vu all over again." If you take the time to really analyze that phrase, you see it makes little sense. I think George Carlin also commented on the silliness of this phrase during one of his shows.

5) "Everyone does/thinks/acts this way, so it must be the right way."

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2013, 10:29 pm

One of my teachers used to say "Use your initiative" to me a lot, and I still get people saying similar things to me. It's the most ridiculous thing to say because I always do what I believe to be the most sensible thing.

TheZachadoodle
Raven
Raven

06 Aug 2013, 11:25 pm

"I'm just kidding"

Oh yeah where is the joke? Was it funny? OH WAIT YOU DON'T MEAN I'M JUST KIDDDING YOU MEANT I'M SORRY! Well thank you for confusing me that I thought you were just not serious.

I know that someone out of this conversation says it like that but here is the true definition,

"Deceive (someone) in a playful or teasing way."

synonyms: tease, joke, pretend, make fun of.

Get it right and don't confuse people. Don't follow the crowd.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 10:26 am

You should know that without me telling that to you. (pertaining to unspoken rules or implied content or other related matter)

You need to fight your own battles (frequently as a child when teachers were notified of the bullying i was receiving)

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 2:58 pm

ghoti wrote:
You should know that without me telling that to you. (pertaining to unspoken rules or implied content or other related matter)

You need to fight your own battles (frequently as a child when teachers were notified of the bullying i was receiving)

Both of these are VERY rage-inducing to me. The first one, to me, is THE ESSENCE of the NT/AS communication barrier. I don't want to associate with ANYONE who flat-out refuses to even CONSIDER that I may, in fact, not know something, no matter how "obvious" it may seem to the NT! Likewise, I have to explain things to NT's that are "obvious" to me!

The way I see it, if I tell someone about something extremely "obvious" that they're doing, and they ARE in fact trying to manipulate me by pretending not to know, then once I tell them, they have no excuse to continue the behavior! If the EXACT SAME behavior continues, then I know they're doing it on purpose. Above all, I want to MAKE SURE THEY KNOW what they're doing!!

Regarding bullying, I've heard "You shouldn't tattle" (implying that I'm filing false charges against the bully) and several things to the effect of "It's all in good fun" (it wasn't to me!! !)

Quote:
One I hate is 'Get out of your autistic world.' I consider that callous comment an act of hate.

QFT. (Quoted For Truth) It's like telling a gay person to straighten out, or a NT to "snap out of their NT world" into the autistic one!! ! Either of those would just be ASKING to become a social pariah, if not a convicted hate criminal!!

AQ: 33

d057
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 5:24 pm

I would say that the most annoying phrase for me is "that's just the way it is."

havoc
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2013, 1:44 pm

d057 wrote:
I would say that the most annoying phrase for me is "that's just the way it is."

I hate that one too. The reason "it's that way to begin with" is because people think they have to accept things as they are and not force change. For example people commonly accept that the world will be full of jerks but let me make it clear when I say no one is born a jerk. Who you become is determined by how you're raised and what happens to you while growing up as well as how the person perceives it as its happening.

Last edited by havoc on 12 Aug 2013, 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.