Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Dr_Strangelove
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2007, 11:55 pm

This needs a little backstory, so please be patient with me.

I own my own business. I live near LA California. My contractor has a workgroup in Denver. I was missing out on groundfloor product development in Denver. My contractor suggested I go to Denver for an extended stay. My contractor said that I should try to stay at another persons house for the 3 month period and give him a little money to stay there. He is a nice guy and all, but the thought of living at his house for 3 months makes my teeth itch.

In the past I would have tried to do everything on the cheap, bumming rides for three months, living at his house, etc.

But...

I do not hate myself anymore. I make good money. I deserve, yes, deserve a peaceful place to stay. I deserve a car to drive. My wife was not happy at first, but she is OK ( sorta ) with it now.

So....

I packed my stuff ( mattress, TV, DVD player, chair, TV trays, laptop, etc. ) in my Suburban and left for the 900 mile drive. I was supposed to stay at his house that night. It got to 8:30 PM and it was clear I would not arrive until 1:00 AM. So I called him. I said I would be arriving at his house at about 1:00 AM, he said not to call after 10:00 PM.

So I got an hotel and did not call him. The next morning he called and said he was waiting all night for me to get there. Hmm, why didn't he call me then? Silly human.

I got my own apartment today for the 3 month stay. And a new business banking account here in Denver. I could see a dramatic difference in the sort of humans the apartment manager and the bank manager were used to dealing with. The apartment humans were talking about credit checks and criminal records checks. I created a business bank account right then and there with a couple of pieces of plastic.

I am so happy. I was dreading staying at his house. I am staying in the hotel until my apartment is ready on Friday. I have my car to drive. I am not dependent on any human. I have determined to concentrate on listening to the humans at work and say as little as possible. I am finally learning to be good to myself. :D

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2007, 12:02 am

Congratulations! And hey, if you're interested in meeting a fellow aspie who can show you around town, let me know. I'm free the rest of the week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2007, 10:39 pm

My personal insight is that when it comes to friendships, opposites attract.