Ever feel invisible? Like you don't exist?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Patrick64
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Aug 2014, 5:10 pm

So, I post on facebook to see if any of my facebook friends would respond: "Anyone want to try to plan to go somewhere like the state fair this year?" I get no response. I sometimes cry for help a little (a mistake in my life). No response. It felt like either people are too busy for me or they don't care about me. I want to believe the first. Also, I know why girls won't accept my friend requests: it's can be considered creepy as for one they don't know me, so you have to talk to them about that before just adding them.

In real life: I am almost always working. It has always depressed me because I feel like a slave, but financially I am digging myself out of poverty as I don't have my parents as much of a backbone. Being a stronger man everyday, I seem to find hope for making more money. (which isn't always important). But I lack social skills. I am generally a shy person. I don't know exactly what to say to the other person. (especially when it's the opposite sex. Just dead air). I try to meet other people at places that I show interest in. Anime Conventions, etc. I am trying to get out more, but I'm stuck. I feel invisible to the social world. But I could be overreacting. Everyone's probably just busy taking care of priorities and stuck with work. I only see my friends every now and then, and I think it's sad as getting to know people shouldn't be only on a 3-4 month basis. I might of just helped myself here, but then again I need to meditate, and think positive. I don't want to become a person that I regret becoming. I want to make friends.

My AS talk.

Roobot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2014, 5:26 pm

its the only way i've ever felt.

LocksAndLiqueur
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2014, 5:49 pm

Hardly. I've always had the exact opposite problem. People always notice me, but rarely in a good way.

Patrick64
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Aug 2014, 6:02 pm

I don't want to commit suicide, but the lack of compassion and noticing is making me depressed.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 6:54 pm

A-ha. Maybe because I have no personality.
I'm invisible in plain sight.

KezC
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2014, 4:27 am

Facebook is really sh***y like that.

Firstly because it's a vehicle for people to be super fake and shallow. If you have 200 friends, probably only about 5 of them are really friends, in the sense that they will put themselves out to help you.

Secondly because it has its own weird rules that most people don't understand. For example, if you have 200 friends, it's quite possible that Facebook only decided to show your post to 1/4 of them, so lots of people won't even have seen what you posted unless they were looking on your page, which many people don't do.

Thirdly because people don't always know what you mean online. So presuming a 'friend' was lucky enough to see your post, and she happened to be one of the 5 people who are your real friends, she might not know whether you were serious or making some kind of joke. She might not know who you meant. Or she might not want to respond simply because nobody else has. Or any number of things.

Probably if you want to meet up and do something, instead of making a general status update post, pick out several people you feel that you are actually reasonably close to, and message them directly. That way you know they are likely to read your message. Also if your friend gets something specifically for her, she will know she is meant to respond.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 6:38 am

Not being noticed is a blessing in disguise. I pine for it, other time I use it effectively.

Everything in moderation though. You have to find your balance everyone is different.

I can relate to your situation somewhat.

I don't want you to feel depressed.

You want to make some close friends right?

OrangeCowboy
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2014, 2:55 pm

I've learned that wall posts suggesting hangouts are very ineffective, too. Usually, calling or texting seems to be more effective.