Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2018, 1:13 pm

For much of my life I've (probably) come across as a know-it-all, because I have a strong tendency to correct people when they get facts or reasoning wrong. It's always seemed to me like, why would you want to have a discussion based on faulty premises? I'd like to be corrected when I get things wrong...

I've gradually learned to suppress it, but it can still require a considerable effort.

Anyone else, or is this just me?

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 9:28 am

I don't like to correct people unless I truly have no idea what they're talking about. Like if they mispronounce something or whatever but even then it can be offensive to do that to someone. My mom has gotten after me countless times for "contradicting" her. Whether you're correcting someone's pronunciation or facts about a certain subject either way it makes them look stupid and that's why they get offended.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 12:21 pm

I made a thread about this recently. I’m exactly the same way. I have no problem being corrected because it means I learned something new and won’t look stupid again. But people get super defensive when you correct them, and I’ve always had trouble understanding it.

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jun 2018, 8:30 am

green0star wrote:
I don't like to correct people unless I truly have no idea what they're talking about. Like if they mispronounce something or whatever but even then it can be offensive to do that to someone. My mom has gotten after me countless times for "contradicting" her. Whether you're correcting someone's pronunciation or facts about a certain subject either way it makes them look stupid and that's why they get offended.

Yeah, I know. I just don't get why people make such a big deal out of it. Everyone gets things wrong sometimes, it doesn't make them stupid.