People’s humour is so mean these days, and unidirectional.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Sirmadness
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Mar 2020, 4:31 pm

I’m in my 40’s now, so I’m getting the impression that I’m getting out of touch with the next generation, but my attempts to figure out where the lines are (oh, I see what the problem is! :D ) always result in pissing people off and alienating the group at large.

As near as I can figure, here are the rules for online interaction these days:

Sit there and take it.
See rule one.

People will tear you down and tell you why your opinion is stupid, uneducated, and wrong, in the rudest ways possible, and you have to smile sweetly and say nothing.

You will never get an explanation. If you want an explanation, you are the problem.

If you respond in kind, YOU will be seen as the problem, and be pilloried accordingly.

If you attempt to explain your point of view in a rational, articulate manner, you will be torn down by exactly the same types of base insults chock-full-of-swearing that you avoided, which, as a bonus, do nothing to refute your original point.

Everybody who swears and insults you is “only joking” your responses in kind are “crossing a line” and “inappropriate.”

...am I alone in this? I’m tired of pretending it doesn’t hurt.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 1:44 pm

I would not call that "Humor" per se, rather just a generation that's plain narcissistic. Usually, people who act like that often always right no matter what. They are also arrogant because when you confront them, they interrupt you and project their bad behavior onto you.

In terms of mean humor, this has been going on for years now. Back before the whole thing with the political correctness era, which we have been currently living in. For instance, look at Larry the Cable Guy and his stand up comedy. In his case, he made fun of disabled people in his acts by calling them the R-word. He also made fun of his brother, who is evidently deaf, by making moaning sounds.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2020, 3:09 am

Sirmadness wrote:

What you've described is basically mob mentality. To avoid it, stick with small, moderated, reasonably well-organized forums such as Wrong Planet, and avoid chaotic large-scale media such as Twitter.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2020, 7:53 am

I chalk it up to it being “just the Internet.”

It’s always better to interact with people you know and trust.

JewShirlz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2020, 1:44 pm

I know exactly what you mean Sir. I recommend reporting their comments to YouTube, Google or whoever runs the platform.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2020, 2:05 pm

This is exactly why I avoid social media. It is simply a vessel for one uneducated idiot to interface with others just like them before ganging up on people who speak their opinion be it fact or otherwise that doesn't conform to what the idiots think (wot???) is right.

As others have said, stick to where there is actual moderation by people who care about the environment within the forum community.

If someone annoys you forget about it, walk away and do something creative.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2020, 2:39 pm

maycontainthunder wrote:
As others have said, stick to where there is actual moderation by people who care about the environment within the forum community.

I agree with this. I sometimes post on an unmoderated watch forum and the viciousness of the place has gotten to me more and more over the years.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2020, 2:52 pm

Sirmadness wrote:
I’m in my 40’s now, so I’m getting the impression that I’m getting out of touch with the next generation, but my attempts to figure out where the lines are (oh, I see what the problem is! :D ) always result in pissing people off and alienating the group at large.

Sit there and take it.
See rule one.

People will tear you down and tell you why your opinion is stupid, uneducated, and wrong, in the rudest ways possible, and you have to smile sweetly and say nothing.

You will never get an explanation. If you want an explanation, you are the problem.

If you respond in kind, YOU will be seen as the problem, and be pilloried accordingly.

If you attempt to explain your point of view in a rational, articulate manner, you will be torn down by exactly the same types of base insults chock-full-of-swearing that you avoided, which, as a bonus, do nothing to refute your original point.

Everybody who swears and insults you is “only joking” your responses in kind are “crossing a line” and “inappropriate.”

Is this on the Net?

Or is this in real face-to-face life?

Or both?

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2020, 8:06 pm

Sirmadness wrote:

Sit there and take it.
See rule one.

they are like that on Makeupalley. This place is way better.