Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2008, 10:43 pm

What is the best way to deal with ignorant people?

Flipmode
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2008, 11:10 pm

Ignore them...
there really not much you can do, you shoulden't try to argue with them

thefej
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2008, 11:18 pm

Use small words and obvious gestures. Spread your arms as far out as you can for the idea of "big," and pinch your finger's together for "small." Clap out your syllables as you speak. make noises and act like an animal. but first define ignorant.

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2008, 11:54 pm

See here: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt72621.html

No, not the person who posted below me. The person I'm talking about in my post, who also thinks that because I think that John McCain should choose a younger running mate to offset his age that I am prejudiced against the elderly.

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2008, 4:00 am

Your reaction was perfect. Stay friendly, but stop the discussion. Sentences like "Ok, we have different opinions and can't sort that out right now" or something on that line work perfectly well. Make clear, you want to stop the discussion. Maybe claim that you don't have enough information and will "read something about it".
Ideas like "he has it in his blood" can't be changed within a short discussion anyway. You would have to run against a wall, which is protecting the persons wrong views since her childhood. To change them would make it necessary to rethink everything and give up too much.

I'm not that nice though. I look up people slowly from head to feet and my faces makes very clear what I think. :roll: But that way people feel offended easily, so not to be recommended.

Unbeliever
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2008, 6:11 am

I generally live by; "You cannot blame someone for being stupid, ignorant, naive or misinformed, however you can blame them for trying to force their supposedly flawed opinion onto you or anyone else."

In the end there are several billion people in this world, all with their own opinion, therefore you're inevitably going to encounter some f*cked up ideas. You just have to decide when it's worth staying and talking (because there's always a chance that you might be in the wrong), and when it's better just to walk away.

I personally would have walked off laughing at "he has it in his blood" :p
(If that's how it works, I think I might be a viking- how cool is that?!)

xdragonxninjaxpowax
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2008, 11:50 am

Ignorant people I ignore mostly. Unless they physically attack me and thats when I run FAST. As I'm rather physically weak and not good at fighting.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 12:26 pm

Unbeliever wrote:
I generally live by; "You cannot blame someone for being stupid, ignorant, naive or misinformed, however you can blame them for trying to force their supposedly flawed opinion onto you or anyone else."

Coincidentally I happen to live by "You can blame people for having ill will, but you can't blame them for being ignorant."

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2008, 12:45 pm

I try to cling to the understadning of "to each his own" which I have more patience for somedays than others :)

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

Zane
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2008, 1:45 pm

Find a way to relate to them and their situation. Imply kindness and sincerity in your voice. If you truly want to help an ignorant person you must first fully understand where they are coming from. Most close minded people just need a draft of fresh air to clear their heads. I find the best tactic is to A pick your battles wisely (still working on that) and B always be honest and true to yourself. If you know better than an ignorant person call them out on their s**t ... "where did you hear that?" "Oh CNN?" "interesting" ... then if you know better make an inquiry. "did you know about _____" ... usually they'd follow up with "No I didn't" and immediately they are interested ... or B they are just talking out their asses to feel important in which case they will reject any "outside" ideas and these are the people you leave alone ... their are two kinds of people. Those who are naturally open minded and those who have never had to come face o face with reality ... many of America fit into the second one. I suppose I fit into the latter.

More importantly than worrying about the ignorant is finding yourself. Become knowledgeable 100% and then show off by making intelligent conversations happen. And if you truly want to help then consider practicing what you preach. I am by no means perfect but I do intend to become the best man possible in every way shape and form.

-KarlEdward