Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 6:14 am

What did someone try to pressure you into doing?

Did you do it?

Are you glad you did it or do you regret it?

How easily do you succumb to peer pressure?

LittleBeach
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Yesterday, 7:40 am

Recently someone tried to buy me a drink (alcoholic) when I’d already had enough. I said a polite no thank you, can you get me an orange juice instead, but they kept pressuring me into drinking more.

I kept saying no to them, I must have had to repeat no about 7 or 8 times. I found it strange that I had to do that.

I am more assertive now. When I was a few years younger I would have probably caved in to the pressure of repeated questions.

JamesW
Raven
Raven

Yesterday, 7:55 am

LittleBeach wrote:
Recently someone tried to buy me a drink (alcoholic) when I’d already had enough. I said a polite no thank you, can you get me an orange juice instead, but they kept pressuring me into drinking more.

I kept saying no to them, I must have had to repeat no about 7 or 8 times. I found it strange that I had to do that.

I am more assertive now. When I was a few years younger I would have probably caved in to the pressure of repeated questions.

I still get this, even after 31 years' sobriety. I'm British, of course, which has a particularly immature culture around alcohol.

This conversation has worked for me:

Perp: Fancy a beer? Wine?
Me: No thank you. I don't drink.
Perp: You don't drink? (Laughs)
Me: No. I gave it up.
Perp: But... can't you have just one?
Me: Who has just one? Give me twelve. Then a curry, and a fight, and I can wake up in a skip round the back of a police station with a dog pissing on my face.
Perp: Oh.. Haha. Right. Fine... mate. (Backs away)

There is a God.

LittleBeach
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Yesterday, 10:11 am

JamesW wrote:
LittleBeach wrote:

I still get this, even after 31 years' sobriety. I'm British, of course, which has a particularly immature culture around alcohol.

This conversation has worked for me:

Perp: Fancy a beer? Wine?
Me: No thank you. I don't drink.
Perp: You don't drink? (Laughs)
Me: No. I gave it up.
Perp: But... can't you have just one?
Me: Who has just one? Give me twelve. Then a curry, and a fight, and I can wake up in a skip round the back of a police station with a dog pissing on my face.
Perp: Oh.. Haha. Right. Fine... mate. (Backs away)

Haha yes British drinking culture can be difficult to say no too. I’ll have to try that response sometime :D