Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 10:33 pm

What is it like to be mute or close to it?

Have you ever tried to be silent for a day?

How long is the longest you have gone without talking?

Suicidal_Vampire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Yesterday, 10:19 am

I have tried not to talk for a whole day, usually giving up when I became bored. I once didn't speak for a whole school day because I was just tired of talking to people, instead of experimentation.
I'm not sure, but I think I go non-verbal when I'm overwhelmed. I've been forced to talk under those circumstances (it usually takes a few tries), but it's really difficult and I refuse to do so now.
I wouldn't know but I assume mute people feel okay communicating by other means, writing, sign language, body language. I mean, of course it's harder, but they're probably used to it.

"Really? I'd like to meet him."

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 5:17 pm

it just seems like the vast majority of the time, when I try to say something, someone either doesn't

hear (Precious lil "people" act so enthusiastic, like every thought and emotion that went through their heads, are the latest greatest scientific inventions. Then when I try to say something, they have the nerve to *half listen* and grunt "huh" and "what", like they are the etiquette equivalent of "excuse me".) (where i work, @ home depot, the entire building is loud. coworkers and customers tend to be hard of hearing, as construction workers).

care (It appears that some precious lil "people", care about plenty of "people", but everyone they care about acts just like them [neurotypical and cisgender], and they care about them vice versa.)

understand (they acted like they understood, but they did not understand. they made wrong assumptions. they were not even aware that they made wrong assumptions.)

believe (they expected me to believe whatever they told me, but they were not willing to believe the slightest thing i tried to tell them. even when there was literally *nothing* at stake for them, if they believed what i said.)

remember (even though I told them)

what i said. And that makes the cost benefit analysis not worth it.