Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2007, 7:06 pm

I am socially inept to a pretty extreme degree. This has posed a problem to me in my personal and professional life as I'm sure it has to many aspies. The final result of school bullying, failed relationships and failure to communicate properly with authority figures and peers has led to me becoming socially isolated. In a given week I'll only speak once or twice with family members but nothing outside of that.

Following my diagnosis of Aspergers, I was relieved to know that there was a known cause and name for what I was suffering from. Unfortunately, living in an U.S. territory, I came to find out that there are no local support groups and the local population is woefully uneducated. It was great to find out that there were online support groups for aspies and I've benefited a lot from the knowledge that there are others that are wired the same way as I am and that I wasn't alone.

I was sadly mistaken when I thought WrongPlanet to be a safe haven for aspergers. I had expected that knowing how difficult it can be to be misunderstood would lead aspies to be more sympathetic towards others. I have managed to make very few friends on the website and chat room and for the most part it seems that the people I encounter here seem to be largely hostile towards me. The conclusion of this, has been that I have been given a month long ban from the chat room.

It seems counter-productive to me, to build a website where aspies can get together only to exclude people from being able to utilize that resource. It constitutes a pretty serious abrogation of duty on the part of the Wrong Planet administrators as well as a misrepresentation of the stated goals of the project. For an organization based around teaching tolerance it's certain now that it only acts out of ignorance and exclusion.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 7:17 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 7:18 pm

So what was the reason given for you being banned?And what part of the U.S.A.do you live> I.m from San Diego,and there are places.

LogicGenerator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2007, 7:47 pm

Why don't you start your own support group?

I'm sure that with the nature of Aspergers, many topics are discussed that are well beyond the normal. However, I would think that the moderators here have their limits. Especially if the topic is vulgar, abusive or illegal.

You gave no reason why. Did they give you any warnings?

It's possible that you P****d off the wrong person. In that case, don't blame the whole community.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Sep 2007, 8:21 pm

chatrooms suck. message boards are where its at! have you thought about giving the forums here a try?

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2007, 8:37 pm

richardbenson wrote:
chatrooms suck. message boards are where its at! have you thought about giving the forums here a try?

Eh, I was just pissy. Feel free to delete the thread.

The forums are just too vast to keep me interested. In the chat room I can just pop in, make a question, then leave. Much simpler.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2007, 9:30 pm

I've been banned from a chatroom or two, mostly for reasons I cannot understand. I never flame or act like a jerk. They do that to me, and it seems even the moderators who booted me would. It was like a gang pointed at me. I stopped chatting because I realize I don't understand most people and they don't understand me. :roll: It isn't worth my time.

Coyote27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2007, 3:49 am

O_O The Internet: Serious Business.

You don't really belong in an IRC room until you've been banned at least 10 times and given operator status more than once. :D

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2007, 10:39 pm

siuan wrote:
I've been banned from a chatroom or two, mostly for reasons I cannot understand. I never flame or act like a jerk. They do that to me, and it seems even the moderators who booted me would. It was like a gang pointed at me. I stopped chatting because I realize I don't understand most people and they don't understand me. :roll: It isn't worth my time.

Where does that leave us then? No friends in real life, no friends on the internet; yet another reason for my shrink to b***h at me. The point was that if this were a random chatroom on the interwebs then I wouldn't mind being kicked out. But excuse me for expecting a support group website to be supportive.

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 11:05 pm

At least you had the chance to *get* banned! The first (and only) time I tried to log into Chat, it told me I was already banned :P

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2007, 4:51 pm

Okay, I haven't used the chat room in over two weeks and when I log on today I find out I'm re-banned?

What is up your butts?

gimmik
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Oct 2007, 4:56 pm

the gaystapo will ban you for anything these days... :(

kate-silverton
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2007, 4:56 pm

Joybob wrote:
What is up your butts?

yes, wtf is up your butts?

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2007, 5:01 pm

gimmik wrote:

Are you seriously telling me they banned me for not logging on for two weeks???

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 5:33 pm

violentcloud wrote:
At least you had the chance to *get* banned! The first (and only) time I tried to log into Chat, it told me I was already banned :P

Guess your reputation precedes you, sir :P

BionicVapor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2007, 6:31 pm

hospital-food wrote:
Joybob wrote:
gimmik wrote:

Are you seriously telling me they banned me for not logging on for two weeks???

yes

i don't beleive that.