Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

rastachucker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2011, 6:53 pm

I have this problem where I meet people and it looks like we hitting it off and things r going well. I try to always be up front with people about my aspie and tell them the difficulties that I have with people and boundaries and other things always manage to leave out a few things not on purpose but it just hard to remember everything but it does not seem to matter because soon after they stop taking my calls and we no longer hang out. This would be ok if this was just with a couple of people but this seems to be the patter over and over again and no matter what I hop to the next person hoping this one will be different and forget that I am dealing with something much larger the person or people. I become heart broken and angry and I tried to find the bright side to having aspies but I cannot because I one hand I can appear normal but on the other I have big chucks of the what seems like the normal programming missing. So it feels as if I live in limbo not normal enough to fit in normal world but to high functioning to fit in comfortably with people that are severely or more dd than I. Sometimes I wish that I more disabled than I am because then at least then people would be more understanding knowing that I was not normal but because I am so dang close to the real thing I feel like they leave because they expect me to know certain ques and things that I can't and when I do not they leave. Almost like being born with a curse and only get to have five minutes with a person before it is over I forced to move on. Left feeling like failure and again facing the hopelessness of never being able to live in the normal world no matter how hard I try no matter how much I want it I am always left alone. I left trying to figure out why would I be left this way if there is no hope or help....at least help that a guy on ssi can afford and I know if I was rich like Donal Trump I would spend every dime I needed to on making me better. I just wish there was a place that I could go and get help the help that I need because I cannot solve this on my own and I left alone as an outsider and I do not want to live here anymore. I want so much to get better and have people in my life. I want friends and love ones I want to know what it means to have a family and all the other things being aspies have kept from me. I would be ok with all this if I was going to solve world peace or become the next bill gates or end world hunger but I do not think that I am bright. So I would like to find the silver lining in being this way.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Nov 2011, 7:41 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Social Skills and Making Friends]

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 1:45 am

I hope to eventually see and participate and help with political activism, self-advocacy, and just plain social activities and networking where the majority of the people in the group are middle functioning

with the group making decisions by discussion and voting,

and also for the benefit of low-functioning and high-functioning persons, as well as for the middle-functioning persons.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 11:11 am

rastachucker, honest to gosh, you may be downloading too much information to people all at once. Maybe experiments with disclosing a medium amount and then on a later occasion, disclosing another medium amount. And perhaps the first disclosuring something like: " . . and I can be a pretty nerdy person . . "

And there's so much luck in social interactions. For example, an environment club, they have their monthly meeting, they're going to do an activity in six months, and they don't want to do any more. The leader half resents taking the whole thing on and he or she is trying to discharge the responsibilities with the minimal amount of time. And doesn't welcome someone coming in with fresh energy. In fact, it's kind of a threat.

I wish things were different. But that's often the way they are. And other people are overpeopled.

So, I think the goal is to light-touch a variety of groups and activities. Kind of the zen art of trying less hard, staying open so that when someone does make overtures to me, I can reciprocate. And then go through medium steps as I decide whether I want to be friends with them.