Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2006, 12:33 pm

The more I look at things, the more isolated I realize that I am. Both of my last two friendships ended very badly(one was his fault, one was mutual). I have no friends, I don't talk to anyone from my school once school is out, and I'm starting to wonder why I don't really give a flying ****. Occasionally I get this feeling like loneliness, but something just forces it back inside. It doesn't seem to matter to me. I suppose I might like a friend, but it's not anywhere near the top of my list of concerns. I find myself perfectly happy talking to myself, and have gotten to the point where I talk to myself in public. Should this concern me?

JohnnysEntertainmentFan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2006, 1:37 pm

Hi Subadai,

I think if you're posting this message, then I think you already have some concerns. For a while, I was so frustrated with people and relationships because they always ended up badly. Maybe this applys to you as well, maybe it doesn't. If it does, it's important to look at the relationships and she how they could have been better and what you could have done.

-Adam aka JohnnysEntertainmentFan

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2006, 1:54 pm

Well hello Johnny and Subadai nice to have both of you two here. Yeah I've had many times where I felt alone and isolated. You need to find people or you need to have something to put your mind at ease. I've done this by the internet, and video games.

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2006, 2:54 pm

JohnnysEntertainmentFan wrote:
Hi Subadai,

I think if you're posting this message, then I think you already have some concerns. For a while, I was so frustrated with people and relationships because they always ended up badly. Maybe this applys to you as well, maybe it doesn't. If it does, it's important to look at the relationships and she how they could have been better and what you could have done.

-Adam aka JohnnysEntertainmentFan

I am partially concerned because much of my bitterness comes from the fact that my best friend completely abandoned me once I became an atheist. From that point I just had time to stew in my discontent until eventually I ended up settling for my bitter yet happy self. Unfortunately, I still have a bit of loneliness.

JohnnysEntertainmentFan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2006, 7:26 pm

Ah, the atheist thing. I haven't had people abandon me for being an atheist, but I have had people not want to associate with me because of it.

If I were you, I would be mad at the friend for leaving just because of that. I have had many many friends of many many different regilions. It should not matter.

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2006, 8:02 pm

Ah, the atheist thing. I haven't had people abandon me for being an atheist, but I have had people not want to associate with me because of it.

If I were you, I would be mad at the friend for leaving just because of that. I have had many many friends of many many different regilions. It should not matter.

It was a long time ago. I have since moved. I harbor much resentment against that entire community, in which I was the lone atheist(there was one Muslim, and that was as far as diversity stretched). I am now entering a (hopefully) more enlightened community where more people will have abandoned their zealous ways.

JohnnysEntertainmentFan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2006, 11:35 pm

It's great to hear you're making active changes toward your goals.

Spriteling
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jun 2006, 9:17 am

I isolate myself; I spend almost no time in social situations and most of my time is spent by myself, on the computer or reading books. However, I am perfectly happy this way: I feel no need for friends, and I have no particular desire to talk to people. My conversations never go well, anyways. I frequently find myself not knowing how to respond to someone when we are talking, even if it is only, which is where I find myself most comfortable. So, I don't think you should really feel concerned, as many Aspies do not feel the need for friendship.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 9:45 am

I think it does matter sometimes. Because you don't know how other people will react to you. They might not want to be around you just because your atheist. Since I'm not an Atheist I don't know how you two would percieve these reactions.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 10:03 am

subatai_baadur wrote:
I am partially concerned because much of my bitterness comes from the fact that my best friend completely abandoned me once I became an atheist. From that point I just had time to stew in my discontent until eventually I ended up settling for my bitter yet happy self. Unfortunately, I still have a bit of loneliness.

Wow, I don't know of anyone who would reject a person on the basis of their religion (or lack of one), particularly amongst younger people. If this person rejected you for these reasons, then don't feel too bad about it, they weren't worth it. People have different opinions and people need to accept that, particularly your friends.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2006, 7:29 pm

Isolationism is something that is not uncommon in those with autism. With more severe social difficulties being left out of most things is just part of reality. I think new measures that are funded in the states for social programs are needed.

For instance one program will be picking me up from the house and going to work on goals of whatever I choose. One is computer recycling to build PC’s for the disabled for free or donation to buy other parts. It’s a wild idea, but I would be happy doing it.

tdbrown82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jun 2006, 2:46 am

I am having similar problems feeling bitter about the world. I also feel jealous of how easy it is for others to socialize. Every day seems the same to me and I am getting used to the routine to the point where I don't want to break out of it.

SkippyP
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jun 2006, 10:29 am

I'm in the same boat. For the most part it's fine--I've got books and games and movies to keep me occupied. I follow a routine that puts me in social contact with different people during the week, so I've got that angle covered too. But it took a little while for me to figure this out.

ruudvandrago

12 Jun 2006, 1:45 pm

subatai_baadur wrote:
The more I look at things, the more isolated I realize that I am. Both of my last two friendships ended very badly(one was his fault, one was mutual). I have no friends, I don't talk to anyone from my school once school is out, and I'm starting to wonder why I don't really give a flying ****. Occasionally I get this feeling like loneliness, but something just forces it back inside. It doesn't seem to matter to me. I suppose I might like a friend, but it's not anywhere near the top of my list of concerns. I find myself perfectly happy talking to myself, and have gotten to the point where I talk to myself in public. Should this concern me?

What you take an interest in? Perhaps you could find congenials

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2006, 10:40 pm

ruudvandrago wrote:
subatai_baadur wrote:

What you take an interest in? Perhaps you could find congenials

I am interested in Mongol history. I spread out into wider areas of history, but I don't know a whole lot most other eras. Just Mongols. People with similar interests are few and far between.

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 4:10 pm

I have the same problem. I have trouble communicating with people, especially at school because they already have their own friends and I feel like that's a bit of a barrier keeping me from getting to know anybody. I can hold a convarsation fine a lot fo the time, I just think that it would be so much better if it were easier.

However, the group of people I thought were my "friends" seem to have turned against me, or at least seem bothered by my presence... I wonder why???

I'm pissed because my only three friends are leaving for various reasons (one's moving to the next town, one has graduated, one is moving back to China) and not only am I going to be lonely for pretty much all of my senior year, I'm going to miss them to death!