Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

V3N0M
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2009, 3:22 am

When I'm in I group (3 or more others) of people talking I usually end up with either nothing I can think of saying or no chance to get a word in without interrupting. I get this feeling lie I'm not part of the conversation and usually walk away. I'm probably doing something wrong here but what?

P.S. A group with a couple of women and a guy with lots of cool stories is especially fun

Tremere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Feb 2009, 6:53 am

I read somewhere today that interrupting isn't necessarily considered bad by extroverts (i.e most NT's), they appreciate it when it adds substance.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 3:48 pm

i find it hard at times too, especially when it's an intense discussion and everyone is trying to get a word in, but with time and practise you can get better at getting your points in. i can't really give you any specific pointers, but when you're in a group try to observe the others in the group and how they cut in. try to see what tells them the other is done talking, or if they're interrupting, try to figure out how they do it without angering the others. and i agree, it's not always considered a bad thing to interrupt if you have something pertinent to say. if you cut someone off and don't really say anything interesting or don't add to the discussion they're more likely to dislike it.

dimitri
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2009, 4:25 am

you could comment on whatever the topic is, like factual information, a question, or your opinion.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 2:05 pm

I've been there. I hate that feeling of being out of it.