Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

frequently
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Feb 2009, 12:04 pm

hello,

so, i have moved to berlin with my girlfriend. it is very nice here, i think i like the isolation more than i like anything else. anyway these things are besides the point.

has anyone had to learn a new language?

i have studied german in australia for two years at university, and when i was here last time i went to a course for 3 months, but the problem is that as soon as i am in a classroom my ability to learn dissappears. this is very difficult because language is a social thing of course. but my ability to focus generally dissappears in a gourp.d

i learn very well through hearing, but language has never been my 'thing', actually i find english extremely frustrating. so i have listened to tapes but they never seem to be right.

any help?

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 12:24 pm

Learning a foreign language is fun if you have a good, positive attitude towards it. I like learning Spanish and it is one of the easiest languages to learn. In the USA, Spanish is the second largest language spoken after English so as a U.S. citizen, it is an excellent language to learn.

I am also, learning Arabic...however, it has to be the hardest language to learn.

If you are serious about learning a foreign language, you need to study and "practice" speaking the language. With a language like Spanish, there are television programs created for Spanish speaking people and these programs are excellent to watch as a student learning the Spanish language.
Also, with so many Spanish speaking people living in the USA, one doesn't have to travel very far to hear the Spanish language spoken.

Good luck with learning the German language!

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 12:29 pm

I'm planning to move to Rome when I'm older, so I am trying to learn Italian. The gendered nouns and everything are confusing, but I think I'm getting better at remembering them.

y es como un semestre"

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 2:02 pm

Im tryin to learn Russian, Arabic and portugese. Its all very hard.

skybluepink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Feb 2009, 2:45 pm

I've lived in Spain ten years now. I found group learning impossible too. The only thing that worked for me is to use books and tapes til you can speak 'pidgin' and make yourself understood and then find someone who'll talk to you one on one - perhaps someone who wants to spend half an hour helping you with German and then half an hour practising their English. The right person is hard to find but it really helps! Best of luck. :wink:

Alexey
Raven
Raven

12 Feb 2009, 6:06 pm

I've studied English in the university during several years, but it is not easy thing for me and I'm planning to improve conversational skills and extend vocabulary. Now I'm using it mainly for reading scientific articles and technical documentation. My first language is Russian.

Starrsy wrote:
Im tryin to learn Russian, Arabic and portugese. Its all very hard.

From my viewpoint, English is not easy language too. It has complicated pronouncation and spelling, and some unusual grammar issues (e.g. articles 'a'/'the', 12 tenses of verbs)

frequently
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Feb 2009, 10:09 am

skybluepink wrote:
I've lived in Spain ten years now. I found group learning impossible too. The only thing that worked for me is to use books and tapes til you can speak 'pidgin' and make yourself understood and then find someone who'll talk to you one on one - perhaps someone who wants to spend half an hour helping you with German and then half an hour practising their English. The right person is hard to find but it really helps! Best of luck. :wink:

i was hoping that someone would say that they succeeded in this way because this is the way i would like to learn

hows spain? my friend was in madrid this week, it sounds very beautiful

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 4:33 pm

I took two years of Spanish in high school, and a semester of French in college. I prefer learning languages independently.