Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 3:50 pm

I am allergic to telephones.

I will avoid them as much as I can.

My phone bill is 90% text messaging and 10% calls (only absolutely necessary calls).

When someone calls me, I have long pauses of silence and I find excuses to hang up.

Does anyone else have this "phone phobia"?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 5:08 pm

Allergies are not phobias. An allergy is a physical response to a physical substance. A phobia is an abnormally intense emotional reaction to an object or situation.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2009, 5:10 pm

I am not and never have been much of a fan of the telephone. Initiating calls is more unsettling than receiving them, if the call is expected. Unexpected calls are intrusions and disrupt whatever I happen to be doing. If I even answer, the call usually starts with me in a daze trying to figure out who it is and what to say. If I'm hyperfocused on something, or sleeping, the telephone startles me tremendously, and it takes me quite a while just to work out what the annoying sound is.

When I do make calls, I need to be completely alone and standing or pacing. Background noise is not good - it's hard enough to hear and decipher conversation without it. On the train, along the street, etc. - only happens in exceptional circumstances and is always a most unpleasant and exhausting experience.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 5:22 pm

I have this too. I HATE talking on the phone unless it's my dad or one of my close friends. My mum loses her temper with me when I won't use the phone when she wants me to, she doesn't understand that I can't help it.

y es como un semestre"

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 5:26 pm

I'm never called, problem solved. ~.~

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 5:39 pm

There are only a few people I'm comfortable calling. For anyone else I hate being a bother so I don't call someone unless they are expecting me to, and even then I get nervous and I have to rehearse what I'm going to say before I dial. I also have to be standing and have no distractions around me, which is tough when the phone is right in the middle of the living room with my pets all around. But I very rarely ever need the phone so I manage.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 6:10 pm

that is one creepy cat master Gamgee.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 6:16 pm

lol he's actually really adorable in real life, it's difficult to get a picture without the redeye though.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 7:00 pm

oh yeah tell me about it! I have Phone phobia indeed.
I have all kind of creative ways of avoiding phones - God bless Internet with email, and mobilephones with SMS options, thats the way to survive it!
The only people who have my phonenumber is my closest family. My workconsultants that I have to keep in cotact with is strictly set off to sms only and they accepted it.
If I have to fill in my phonenumber in any form then I always type a fakenumber so they cant call. Just the phone ringjng can stress me up only by the sound.
My mobilephones have always calling disabled. The true nightmare would be if Im walking the streets and the phone calls and I have to start TALK!! ! :wall:

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:15 pm

OMG I hate using the phone. I resisted getting a cell phone for many years because the thought of anybody being able to call me at anytime, anywhere, with no warning. No f'n way! But I've relented since my parents are elderly now and have had a few medical incidents. But they're the only ones who have the number.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:32 pm

Totally unrelated but.... Black and white kitty! hehe ^^

more on topic : i quit answering the phone when people can't even tell my gender and call me "ma'am" ><

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 8:47 pm

I do not like using the phone.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 9:06 pm

I finally figured out the source of my phone-phobia. Its called Auditory Processing Disorder. Check it out.

I can't understand people unless I have the non-verbal cues. The phone takes that away from you. I have gotten progressively worse to the point that I am trying to figure out how to get some kind of "handicap placard" for my phone.

chrisno51
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Mar 2009, 10:18 pm

No one on this thread is alone, I freeze and almost can't talk over a phone unless it's with my parents or someone like that.

Happy to know I am not that only one. A phone is a great thing to have in case of emergency though. other than that I'd much rather talk online or in person, and in person I can tend to be very shy and quiet.

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2009, 10:57 pm

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
There are only a few people I'm comfortable calling. For anyone else I hate being a bother so I don't call someone unless they are expecting me to, and even then I get nervous and I have to rehearse what I'm going to say before I dial. I also have to be standing and have no distractions around me, which is tough when the phone is right in the middle of the living room with my pets all around. But I very rarely ever need the phone so I manage.

Pretty much ditto this. I take a lot of time to practice what I'm going to say before I get on the phone, then I still get very nervous and continue to rehearse in my head even as I'm speaking. Many times, even if I've rehearsed, I can't get the words out or think fast enough to respond to questions.

Text messaging is really a Godsend.

MKWing26
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Mar 2009, 11:30 pm

if its just a call to say "hello" its so hard...its just awkward to talk to someone when you don't know what to say. i'm uncomfortable with silence on the phone because i worry about boring the other person.