Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Nutterbug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2009, 6:51 am

What does it take to be fun, exciting and interesting social company?

Can anybody recommend a good step-by-step instruction guide for this sort of thing?

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 7:20 am

Good question. Unfortunately, no simple answer. Raymond Smullyan wrote this story comparing laughter and humor to a kind of zen experience; you either get it or you don't. So to be fun and exciting, you have to discover fun and excitement. Try new things, things that you wouldn't normally do. Do things spontaneously. Expose yourself to comedy, listen to more jokes, but don't try too hard to "get" it. if it doesn't make you laugh the first time, it probably never will.

Now, how to SEEM fun loving and energetic to people, in a party or other social situation? That's harder. Especially for us. Be energetic without being frenzied. Be the center of conversation without dominating it. Be teasing without being mean. Be complimentary without being a suck up. Always have a joke ready, but don't make everything a joke. Always smile, but don't be goofy. OK, got all that? Now do it all effortlessly, like that's just how you always are.

Yeah, it's a pain being popular.

Nutterbug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2009, 7:23 am

Being broad and creative minded also helps, doesn't it?

DeathByChocolate
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Mar 2009, 10:33 am

I could really do with some help on this too!

sacrip, I watch and enjoy lots of comedy but it doesn't have much relevance to the real world. People in bars or at parties aren't constantly cracking amazing jokes, they just seem to have a certain way of telling what are often fairly mundane stories. I've been trying to understand it for as long as I can remember.

Many years ago I read the book "How to win friends and influence people", which certainly helped. It's quite useful for us Aspies because it contains simple rules to follow. However it only got me so far and now I wish there was an advanced level.