"Grumpiness" not allowed at one German company...

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2005, 9:11 am

Anybody else feel that this policy might be discrimatory against Aspies who might appear grumpy despite feeling happy? Or against depressives too?

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1597428.html

Quote:
"We made the ban on moaning and grumpiness at work official after one female employee refused to subscribe to the company's philosophy of always smiling," he said.

Maybe she didn't want to smile because she had to work for a facist employer?

and....

Quote:
Kathleen Sochor, who has been with the company for four years, said: "It's great that whinging is not allowed. If one person is grumpy it makes everyone else feel bad and ruins what could be a good day."

Well excuse me for having a crap life then!! Here's a fake smile ::grins like a loon::, happy now?!

:x

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2005, 9:48 am

*deleted because the post this was in reply to was deleted as I was responding to it!! !*

:o

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2005, 12:09 pm

i ENJOY my misery! :twisted: there was one girl that i used to work with who was amused by my customer-induced rage. my ribs would ache at the end of every shift that i did with her from laughing so much. :D

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2005, 7:06 pm

That is sick. Why should those who pay for your labour get your soul as well? :evil: Enforced politeness is draining enough. Having to look pleased to be having the joy sucked out of you all day or face disciplinary action is unjustifiable. Lalala... *rictus grin*

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2005, 7:51 pm

eyeenteepee wrote:
Anybody else feel that this policy might be discrimatory against Aspies who might appear grumpy despite feeling happy? Or against depressives too?

Well excuse me for having a crap life then!! Here's a fake smile ::grins like a loon::, happy now?! :x

Discriminatory against anyone who doesn't walk round like a vacuous Ken/Barbie {delete according to gender}, or against anyone who is determined to reserve at least a part of their mind from the prying, invasive and inquisitive gaze of the employer.

They really do want their 'pound of flesh', don't they?

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2005, 6:47 am

*chuckle*

I'm glad it wasn't just me that found this article disturbing! Now repeat after me "I am a robot, I am a robot, I am a robot"...

On a similar vein, I once worked for a company that did routine, mandatory drug testing. They didn't care less if taking drugs affected your job performance, which after all was measurable via the normal appraisal route, only whether you were taking them or not..
Like it's any of their business what you do in your own time!

They also refused to hire people who picked up parking tickets, smoked, or had any criminal history, no matter how trivial, e.g. frequent speeding fines.

I'm so glad I don't work for them barstewards anymore! :D

</rant>

hidoko
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2005, 11:25 am

Reminds me of this phrase:

It's like I just put my brain in a locker before I start work and pick it up on the way home.
- Haruki Murakami, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2005, 12:37 pm

Its all corporate philosophy. They want to own everything, everyone, and every bit of everyone and everything.

Its got to stop, or soon our once lovely world will be unrecognisable.

Quiet_Maniac
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Nov 2005, 7:48 pm

Hello,

Such policies are nonsense but unfortunately quite common. In my previous job, every e-mail had to be copied to the CEO. Failure to do this resulted in a reprimand for "lack of communication." The reprimand quickly became verbal abuse and, in the end, a fine to be deducted from your paycheck.

Despite frequent checks of the Cc field, every now and then I forgot to include him and was reprimanded. One day, after a particularly rude reprimand, I left. No job is worth so much abuse.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 11:09 pm

hidoko wrote:
Reminds me of this phrase:

It's like I just put my brain in a locker before I start work and pick it up on the way home.
- Haruki Murakami, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle

That book is brilliant....

Welcome Quiet_Maniac :)
Quiet_Maniac wrote:
Despite frequent checks of the Cc field, every now and then I forgot to include him and was reprimanded. One day, after a particularly rude reprimand, I left. No job is worth so much abuse.

Argh, what is it with these people? Think I'd have been inclined to tell him to shove his job up his arse, and be sure to copy the whole firm in. :twisted:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Quiet_Maniac
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2005, 8:46 am

Hello duncvis,

Thank you for the welcome.

I would have liked to do as you suggest, but I risked the company withholding my last paycheck. Yes, he was so mean a guy.

Shortly after the reprimand I walked into his office and said, "I'm leaving." "Make sure your departure will be a smooth transition," was all he could say. "Al right," I replied. And left.

I will come back later today, as I am working.