My story of a film making, or the role of a special interest

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2005, 3:06 pm

Do you sometimes find yourself in places where you are very at ease with other people ? Each Tuesday, I go to a film making group, of which I am the youngest member ; the second member being eleven years older. Maybe it is because it is an interest group, and it is easy for me to talk about how I analyze a scene, how a particular director is used to direct a kind of scene, or how to shoot a scene, because this is something I really like, and maybe it is also because we are only six persons, but I feel more at ease there than in college with the other students -except the two who know about my AS, I have not told any other yet, just a teacher. I talk (maybe sometimes more at them at to them, but the conversation often works both ways), I say jokes and I make the effort to make eye contact.

Yesterday night was the first filming day of our short film. We decided not
to do a Day for Night process, which means you film a night scene during the day and filter the rays from the Sun to fake the night lights, and film at night instead. Since I had classes during the day, I was quite tired when I arrived but it did not bother me. We were not six, but about twenty persons, not taking into account those who were there but not because we were filming. The lights at that café (the scene took place in a café) were flashy and harmful for my eyes, but I was glad to be there (and I was not the only one ; one of the writers/directors was "like a child on Christmas day") so I made efforts. I talked to people between the takes. Some of the people I did not know before told me I stared too much ! But we had fun, and the fact that I had my job* to do helped me calm down.

I get on well with the guys at the film making club (I used to be the only girl, but an eighteen-year-old college freshman girl just joined us yesterday.) and the fact that our conversations are centered around this special interest is of great help.

* In this movie, I am a writer, lighting technician, making-of director,
photograph, and clap.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2005, 3:56 pm

Sounds familiar. I feel almost comfortable around the people I work with, even though I haven't known them for long. My job is repairing computers at the university I attend. Maybe it's because they're nerds like me, hehe.

I'm also into making films. My avatar is actually from a horror movie I made during high school. I got eaten by that bird in the movie.

Rekkr
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2005, 5:37 pm

I feel fairly comfortable around people with similar interests to me.

tear
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2005, 10:49 pm

There are a couple people who I always feel comfortable around but other than that I am pretty uncomfortable. But strangely I feel comfortable in the rain or snow. I just love when I get to walk to/from school in the rain.