Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2006, 12:24 pm

trapped wrote:
I fail to see how that is hypocritical. In order for it to be hypocritical, the parents would have to be doing something to jeoprodize (sic) their own health while at the same time punishing their kid for doing something that affects his own health.

Parents have a choice of staying up as late as they want (and supposedly, that's bad for their health), yet they make their child go to bed early. Sometimes, parents only do it so they can get rid of him/her. While I don't blame them (hey, they want to do stuff as a couple), the child must really feel shortchanged. Besides, every night, the child must have visions of a out-of-this-world party, with music, balloons, and cake; unfortunately, those parties take place only when he/she goes to sleep.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

19 Aug 2006, 12:31 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
trapped wrote:
I fail to see how that is hypocritical. In order for it to be hypocritical, the parents would have to be doing something to jeoprodize (sic) their own health while at the same time punishing their kid for doing something that affects his own health.

Parents have a choice of staying up as late as they want (and supposedly, that's bad for their health), yet they make their child go to bed early. Sometimes, parents only do it so they can get rid of him/her. While I don't blame them (hey, they want to do stuff as a couple), the child must really feel shortchanged. Besides, every night, the child must have visions of a out-of-this-world party, with music, balloons, and cake; unfortunately, those parties take place only when he/she goes to sleep.

That...doesn't make much sense. First off, children, like all young mammals, require more sleep than adults do. That is why younger kids need earlier bed-times than adults do; among other things, we require REM sleep to grow. Secondly, what the hell? I never had any ideas of such a party as you allude to happening after bed-time; for one thing, I would have heard the noise and awoken. I never knew any kid that did think that, either.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2006, 4:50 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
I feel totally controlled by my parents. I feel like I can't just do my thing during the summer. Either I've slept to late or i'm staying up to late. now their trying to say I can't do anything past 1:00! but thats NOT FAIR! thats when i feel comfortable, and I can just relaxe, and excersise(sp) and do my thing. I'm just getting really really pissed.

I'm 33 and very much nocturnal too, I feel very out of my element in the day. Drained, sometimes get a headache, nauseous. So, I sleep all day and get up at night. It's really screwed up my life, even though my parents always managed to enforce getting me to bed at a reasonable hour (once I moved out, the training just didn't stick and I drifted off into my natural pattern).

Being nocturnal is a real handicap out in the world. On the other hand I'm not sure everyone can be made to be diurnal. You might just drift off into nocturnalism once you have control of your circumstances in adult life, despite enforced diurnalism your entire juvenile life. Maybe my parents should have just allowed it to run its course, let me get into difficulties while I was still at home and still in a learning mode, or maybe they did the right thing and the best they could have done. I really don't know.

TheLonerLatvianAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2006, 11:15 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
I feel totally controlled by my parents. I feel like I can't just do my thing during the summer. Either I've slept to late or i'm staying up to late. now their trying to say I can't do anything past 1:00! but thats NOT FAIR! thats when i feel comfortable, and I can just relaxe, and excersise(sp) and do my thing. I'm just getting really really pissed.

I am also totally controlled by my parents well used to be. They forcibly medicate me, they controll everything I read, eat, see, and wear. Well used to anyways. They never really liked me and when I broke away from Christianity at age 8 it damaged our already shaky bond.

When I started asking my parents about homosexuality at age 10 it even furthur damaged our relationship. When I officially came out at 11 it totally broke our relationship.

After 11 I started rebelling. Finally at age 14 I sat them down told them I hated them and wished bad things for them. I told them they were ruining and controlling my life and I was taking charge. I threw out my medication, approved foods, books, and clothes. Then I bought all new stuff and I have stopped talking to them and I still refuse to speak to them.

I can truly say I'm happy and now FREE!! !!

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 7:46 am

How long have you not talked to them?

Actually I broke away from their faith too, it's just that I never tell them anything so they have no idea.

TheLonerLatvianAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2006, 2:58 pm

I stopped talking to them last Spring.