Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2007, 12:17 pm

Does anyone take any medication for depression? I've been really depressed lately. I go through this several times a year, as long as I can remember, so I'm thinking maybe it's time to talk to a doc about it. And they'll probably medicate me... Anyway, does anyone have experience w/ this? What meds did you take? Side effects?

I'm also nursing, so that probably limits what meds I can take further, but I'm hoping to look up what's safe while nursing, so I have a list to talk to the doc about which of those would be best. ;)

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2007, 2:04 pm

I took anti depressants from the age of 7 until I was 22. I took myself off them 2 years ago for several reasons (money, no doctor, side effects). I lead a full and wonderful life without them, but definitely run into days/weeks when I want to be on them again. I had a week this month where I wish I had the chemicals in me to stop making me feel a certain way.

Side effects are the biggest problem I have with meds. From simple things like appetite changes, to more serious side effects of a sexual nature, make sure you know what negative changes come with the positive. I have never been on a medicine that was completely positive, with no negative side effects.

Find a doctor you trust, and give yourself a month or two on the meds to see how they effect you. I 100% believe that meds can be a good thing for people, as long as you know how they are effecting you.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 4:17 pm

I was first put on Prozac, but it kept me up all night, and I couldn't tell a difference with my depression. Then I tried Lexapro, but during that time I attempted suicide, so my doctor then put me on Cymbalta. It helped a little, but I still felt miserable. I'm now taking Clomipramine, which is for my OCD.

mizkathy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2007, 4:52 pm

I'm on Zoloft which I have found to be the best for me. I have no side effects from it.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 5:08 pm

I've tried about everything, but right now I'm on Prozac, Lamactil (which is actually an anti-seziure medication, which is now indicated for bipolar which is what I have), and Trazadone . . .
I think I've tried them all - the worst were Welbutrin which made me uncontrollably suicidal and Lexapro which was like having the worst stomach flu you've ever had in your whole life . . .

agent79
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2007, 8:02 pm

I have no medication to recommend. I just wanted to send you a hug and warm wishes.

Have you considered that this latest round of depression could be post-partum depression?

I have no idea how old your child is or what your overall symptoms are, but I thought that it was worth mentioning.

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2007, 9:24 pm

Well, he's 17 mos old, so I think I'm past the point where they'd call it that. But I have been pretty depressed pretty much since he's been born. He's never slept longer than 2 hours at a time, which might be a big part of it. And he has multiple food allergies, which were hard at first, I'M USED TO HAVING TO COOK EVERY SINGLE THING i EAT MYSELF AT THIS POINT. Sorry, he's on my lap, so I;m not going to fix that.