Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ThunderFox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Sep 2005, 11:44 am

I've been studying Karate lately. It's really made me a lot stronger and a lot more ballanced. Has any other people with AS noticed this? (Especially on the ballance.)

My extreme prefrence of speed over stregnth gives me a good advantage, as does my tendancy for stable form.

I find the largest problem is working on kicks, such as keeping my front foot and back foot from getting confused. That will come with practice, though. I just need to keep practicing my kicks, and I'll be fine.

"Well it's exactly the same . . .
But, Vash the Stampede's idea of 'kin'
stretches way beyond the norm."
-- Trigun Maximum 1; by Yasuhiro Nightow

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2005, 12:00 pm

Hey, Thunderfox!

Have you had a chance to read the Aikido thread in the member's forum? You might find it interesting.

How long have you been doing Karate? Do you enjoy it?

BeeBee

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 10:44 am

Do you have a black belt? Whys it different than the other belts?

ThunderFox

26 Sep 2005, 9:43 pm

ilikedragons wrote:
Do you have a black belt? Whys it different than the other belts?

No, actually I just started a while ago (to reply to both messages)

The black belt is the rank where you become a "degree holder". Yudansha is the "junior" rank, then there are Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yondan and Godan, (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th degree respectively.) The test is pretty intensive, you have to last through a full hour of intense sparring with your Sensei (Master), and be able to demonstrate all the techniques of your style in proper form.

"Well it's exactly the same . . .
But, Vash the Stampede's idea of 'kin'
stretches way beyond the norm."
-- Trigun Maximum 1; by Yasuhiro Nightow

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

27 Sep 2005, 11:26 am

I've been doing Hapkido, and I find it to be a very interesting art. It combines the hard punches of Karate, the kicking of Tae Kwon Do, the locks and holds of Aikido, with the throws of Judo. It is considered a complete system, and in my opinion, very efficient. You move with your opponent's force, rather than fight against it.

I am still surprised at the number of weak points in the body that I've learned in my short time practicing it. I've been doing it for a month or two now and seemed to have progressed rather quickly. This might be because I did a semester of Capoeira (a Brazillian martial art known for its kicking and acrobatics) a few years ago. Capoeira really helped me with the kicks for Hapkido (I can actually kick higher than my instructors, though I am assisted by being 6 foot and having long legs).

My main issue is right footed kicks. Left footed ones I am rather good at, because that's my dominant foot. But the right foot is very uncooperative.... 8)

http://actionman133.isa-geek.net:8080/

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2005, 4:50 pm

Im not sure how good it is because i have never seen a hapkido practiotiner enter into mixed martial arts competition. Most practised martial arts in these competitions are a combination of boxing and muaythai for the striking and for the ground work Brazillian jujitsu, Judo and a little wrestling moves.

pernicious_penguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2005, 7:43 pm

be sure to stretch out before each session and also be sure not to hurt your back or legs

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 9:43 pm

I want to start Karate. My brother does Tae Kwon Do and he is a 4th darn black belt (3 grades above black). He said that Tae Kwon Do requires emotional understanding for the essays and questions you have to do about it and I would struggle to do this and that Karate is a better option for me.

I can all ready do alot of the kicks as well and some time better than some of my brothers friends that are black belt Tae Kwon Do. But this is just because I have a werid type of stimming when people arent around that involves practising my kicking and balancing over and over and things like that. Kinda a handy type of stimming I think. Because it keeps me fit with out having to do any thing else.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 9:49 pm

How hard did you find it to do and remeber the patterns that they have to do in Karate that is something that I think I may have difficulty with but I could be wrong. I am interested to find out wheither any of yous had any difficulty with them.

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2005, 11:19 pm

MindOfOrderedChaos wrote:
How hard did you find it to do and remeber the patterns that they have to do in Karate that is something that I think I may have difficulty with but I could be wrong. I am interested to find out wheither any of yous had any difficulty with them.

The patterns in Hapkido consist of 10 moves each (I think... I've learnt the first two patterns so far), and after a few repititions over a couple lessons I got quite good at remembering it.

http://actionman133.isa-geek.net:8080/

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 1:47 pm

Here is a good example of discipline with judo master Gene-LeBell showing a demonstration of his skills in a controlled enviroment.

http://www.planetvids.com/html/Gene-LeBell.html

Last edited by eamonn on 02 Oct 2005, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2012, 7:15 am

ThunderFox wrote:
I've been studying Karate lately. It's really made me a lot stronger and a lot more ballanced. Has any other people with AS noticed this? (Especially on the ballance.)

My extreme prefrence of speed over stregnth gives me a good advantage, as does my tendancy for stable form.

I find the largest problem is working on kicks, such as keeping my front foot and back foot from getting confused. That will come with practice, though. I just need to keep practicing my kicks, and I'll be fine.

Same for me! :D Karate is helping me a lot with balance, and with motor coordination in general. I also have more troubles with kiks, but with practice I will become more expert. :D

itzybitzyspyder
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2013, 2:09 am

I'm a brown belt-3rd degree in Tai Kwon Do. I find the structure of the katas to be soothing and after a while the muscle memory just does all the work for you. I've stopped practicing for some time, but as you can see in my vid my skills have are still accessable when utilized.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I22aTXkaRkk[/youtube]

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 8:59 pm

I did kempo karate for 3 years. so it's cool