Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 1:53 pm

If you live in a city and are autistic, half August is in Europe like yuletide upside down but, the effects are the same: desperate loneliness. In yuletide you are crammed in a jam of shopping people and you feel a total stranger like Holden Caulfield; in half August the jams shift on the beaches and you are deprived even of a little interaction with some nice shopkeeper. Everybody is sunbathing or travelling to some remote place and you don’t feel lonely, you are lonely. Even Xmas father is on the beach starting the yuletide shopping campaign.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 2:42 pm

half August, or High Summer is masculine, where as yuletide is feminine. . .

I always liked the balance and look forward to leaping the bonfires on Lughnasadh

Merle

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 3:03 am

paolo wrote:
If you live in a city and are autistic, half August is in Europe like yuletide upside down but, the effects are the same: desperate loneliness. In yuletide you are crammed in a jam of shopping people and you feel a total stranger like Holden Caulfield; in half August the jams shift on the beaches and you are deprived even of a little interaction with some nice shopkeeper. Everybody is sunbathing or travelling to some remote place and you don’t feel lonely, you are lonely. Even Xmas father is on the beach starting the yuletide shopping campaign.

I love the cartoon Paolo. I was buying craft supplies the other day and the shop was full of Christmas card-making stuff. A bit early for me, I'm somehow not in a Christmas mood mid-August, lol.

We live in a tourist area and this time of year there is a huge influx of people and the town takes on a totally different character. Roads and shops are crammed with people, there are traffic jams, and there are shops which open just for the summer selling souvenirs, burgers, ice-cream, whatever the tourists want. I feel like a stranger in my own town, so I head for the hills! :) The tourists only go to mount Snowdon, the smaller hills I have to myself. There is nothing so good as 'aloneness' on the hills - I never feel lonely there.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 11:00 am

But isn't this cartoon perfectly appropriate for people in the southern hemisphere??

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 2:41 am

Starr wrote:
...The tourists only go to mount Snowdon, the smaller hills I have to myself. There is nothing so good as 'aloneness' on the hills - I never feel lonely there.

I was watching a BBC show - Midsomer (sp?) Murders last night. The bad guy was from Wales near Mt Snowdon. Nice looking place.

Did they really quarry slate anywhere near there?

And Paolo, we have Christmas in Summer when its often over 30C, so some people here have a winter solstice dinner or "Christmas in July", but its not the same as your issue. At least here we get Christmas and summer vacations over with all at once.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 3:30 am

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
Starr wrote:
...The tourists only go to mount Snowdon, the smaller hills I have to myself. There is nothing so good as 'aloneness' on the hills - I never feel lonely there.

I was watching a BBC show - Midsomer (sp?) Murders last night. The bad guy was from Wales near Mt Snowdon. Nice looking place.

Did they really quarry slate anywhere near there?

How long have you got? lol :-

http://www.penmorfa.com/Slate/history.htm

In brief, yes, slate quarrying was a very important industry here at one time before slate became cheaper to mine in other countries. There are still some working slate quarries in Wales, but not many. The landscape is scarred with old quarries, but a lot of them have grass growing on them now so they just blend in with hills.

tygereyes
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2007, 10:17 am

thank you for your post. I think i understand my own anxiety at that time a little better now :D

I, too, prefer my little one on one with the people i come in contact with while out shopping.

I'm sorry it's so hard for you too.

tyger