Having trouble forming relationships with people in college

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

mrpostman_7901
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2020, 11:08 pm

First off, I'm 19, originally from New York (suburbs outside of NYC), and I graduated with an AS in business administration this summer. I'm currently attending UCF in Orlando, Florida as a business economics major.
With a student body of 59,000 undergrads, it's the most populous in the country. This is a sprawling campus, and I live a few miles off campus. With COVID restrictions on campus, even in a red state like FL, it is difficult to make friends, and some people refuse to participate in social gatherings or hang out due to the virus.
I've been able to connect with people by spending some time on campus, logging onto Zoom events, going to car meets every Wednesday, and I even met with a group of people at New Smyrna Beach on Labor Day.
However, back in New York, I was able to meet a few people who I could connect with as an Autistic person, but here, I haven't been able to. One guy was my age and was lonely in HS and really liked business related topics. Another guy graduated with my class, was generally great to be around, and not obnoxious. How the hell do I find people in an environment that actively restricts social activity?

Citymale
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2020, 2:53 pm

mrpostman_7901 wrote:
First off, I'm 19, originally from New York (suburbs outside of NYC), and I graduated with an AS in business administration this summer. I'm currently attending UCF in Orlando, Florida as a business economics major.
With a student body of 59,000 undergrads, it's the most populous in the country. This is a sprawling campus, and I live a few miles off campus. With COVID restrictions on campus, even in a red state like FL, it is difficult to make friends, and some people refuse to participate in social gatherings or hang out due to the virus.
I've been able to connect with people by spending some time on campus, logging onto Zoom events, going to car meets every Wednesday, and I even met with a group of people at New Smyrna Beach on Labor Day.
However, back in New York, I was able to meet a few people who I could connect with as an Autistic person, but here, I haven't been able to. One guy was my age and was lonely in HS and really liked business related topics. Another guy graduated with my class, was generally great to be around, and not obnoxious. How the hell do I find people in an environment that actively restricts social activity?

Brainstorm and try different things, it is a game of trial and error.. join a club you are interested in.. dress up