Why am I still thin despite weight lifting and press-ups?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 12:24 pm

I remember before and during the lockdowns of the pandemic I did weight lifting and press ups at home almost every day but know I have days when I don't do it as much. I've noticed the muscles in my arms have hardened but seem to think I still look quite thin as I nearly always have been. My arms don't exactly look muscular and look quite thin. I also don't really feel very keen to put on some weight because of worries of being fat and getting things like diabetes and stuff. I also don't really feel very keen either to want to go to a gym or want to go out for a run again as I ran once at 16 or 17 and for a week afterwards my feet were hurting because I wasn't wearing proper running trainers at the time.

What am I doing wrong and what can I do ?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 12:54 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I remember before and during the lockdowns of the pandemic I did weight lifting and press ups at home almost every day but know I have days when I don't do it as much. I've noticed the muscles in my arms have hardened but seem to think I still look quite thin as I nearly always have been. My arms don't exactly look muscular and look quite thin. I also don't really feel very keen to put on some weight because of worries of being fat and getting things like diabetes and stuff. I also don't really feel very keen either to want to go to a gym or want to go out for a run again as I ran once at 16 or 17 and for a week afterwards my feet were hurting because I wasn't wearing proper running trainers at the time.

What am I doing wrong and what can I do ?

I am a whisker under 5ft8 and weigh 168-170lbs so I am technically a fair few pounds overweight for my height. I lift weights at home and I am guessing some of the extra weight I carry might be due to drinking beer on Saturdays.

Can I just make a few points

1. You should have rest between working out your upper body

2. Working out your lower body stimulates muscle growth on your upper body

3. It takes years of dedication and hard work to get the physiques you see on fitness magazine covers.

I workout my upper body 3 times a week and do my lower body 3 or 4 times during the weekdays.

ojane
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2023, 7:18 pm

I understand the fear in regard to not wanting to gain excess weight/diabetes, but in order to get bigger or see a lot of muscle growth you would have to eat healthy and more. You'd need to properly fuel your body to see any kind of gains. Also to see muscle growth train until near failure, pretty much to the point in your set where you can't do another rep with good form.