Page 10 of 12 [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Are you a "lipstick aspie"?
Absolutely! I won't leave the house without at least a little make-up 39%  39%  [ 101 ]
Au naturale for me. I don't like all that greasy make-up and uncomfortable clothes. 39%  39%  [ 101 ]
Au naturale for me. I don't like to stand out. 9%  9%  [ 22 ]
N/A. My parents won't let me wear make up yet. 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
No! I have my reasons. 11%  11%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 257

OhNowIGetIt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jul 2009, 6:57 am

I look really good in lipstick. I was obsessed with make up as a teenager, learned and read everything I could get my hands on for years about the subject. I love the artsy part of it all, the creativity, the stage make up, the options. As I moved into adulthood and motherhood it became something that was less fun and more of a chore due to time isseus and the fact that my intersts had moved on. Now that I am shedding all of the old things about me as I realize my true identity and picking and choosing to only continue what I truely love, I would like to wear some lipstick, but not full make up like I used to. I am at the point in my life when I would like to put on full make up maybe a hand full of times per yr, holidays, family pics. But then again.... sensory wise I don't know if I would be able to handle it anymore now that I am more fully myself if that makes sense. I have horrilbe allergies, quit taking my allergy meds b/c they weren't helping anymore and were giving me bad side effects ( I am the side effect Queen, lol) I hope to look into natural cosmetics some day when I have the money, time and desire all at once. LOL, thats not gonna happen for awhile. Until then I have a few lipsticks I will use on occasion, curl the eyelashes, use a home made scrub to get rid of old skin and moisturize well. I also will pluck my eyebrows a little here and there. All these things help me "look alive". I don't do it for anyone but me, but that is to do with my maturity and age in my case, I am 34 and a Mother to 4. When I was a teenager I was enjoying it for me, the application was a hobby, but I also used it as a way to blend in and get attention. Now I'd just as soon not have the extra attention. I don't have the emotional energy for the chit chat, it short circuts me thsese days. As far as the opposite sex goes... I hate being sized up or checked out. I think it would be funny to try to do the most unattractive thing I can think of when I see someone doing this to me in public. I could pick my nose or take off my socks and shoes and scratch my feet... LOL When I get dressed up and put on make up the looks come from both sexes and I have somewhat taken to being incognito like a movie star b/c I am in a time of realizing my own identity and my life and I don't want the input from others. I don't want anyone else telling me what I am anymore, not even beautiful in pink, so georgous with my make up on, like a model with my outfit, or a shampoo commercial with my hair (you wouldn't beleive I have heard that more than once) So... growing up being told all this superficial crap all my life I am breaking out of it for awhile, it was misunderstood by me to be a part of my identity.... so I will perhaps return to it one day. Not unless and until I am ready to hear all that noise or wear it only at home behind closed doors where my husband will say he'd rather have me bare faced, and with my children, who could care less. Well, dd is getting older, she will be impressed by lipstick soon. Sorry for the long response! I haven't had the experience of relating to others until the last several days on this board and it is still a bit mind boggling! I'll work on editing my thoughts and cutting down my posts, until then, everyone please bear with me.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 7:06 am

Ha ha, that's ok.

Yes, I do all that stuff for me, because I don't feel good unless I do. It's probably a self esteem thing.

theOtherSide
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2009, 10:22 am

i have to confess that i'm trying to get to my fifth post so i'll answer and easy one...

no make-up. i have other ways i'd like to spend my time and money.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 5:15 pm

I love make-up and getting dolled up. I

-Pythagoras

frost7967
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jul 2009, 4:47 pm

Generally, I go without makeup and wear loose fitting casual clothes. I refuse to wear any kind of high heels - too uncomfortable and hard to walk in. I also don't "do" perfume, as many of the scents make me feel nauseous and woozy; I also don't like the smell and feel of most facial cosmetics.

If I know that a certain amount of makeup is a key feature in a social script and if I have a need to play a given role in that script reasonably well (as, job interview), then I'll do some dress-up (usually, something close to "the least I can get away with")....a kind of uniform or theater costume for the role of the moment. I go through an "anthropologist from Mars" run-through of what I've recently seen in the personal appearance of women in a similar situation, conclude what the necessary self-adorning steps should be, and mechanically enact them.

Fortunately, I work with computer graphics, where a certain level of nerdy (computer) or eccentric (wacky artists) is tolerated.

When I go shopping, I don't care what I wear, as long as it's comfortable, clean and protects me from the elements. I figure that most of the people in a store are probably too focused on their own plans to pay me much attention, other than to register me as another "human obstacle" they have to navigate around. If they do look at me and think "What a slob!", how much does it matter if they don't know me and probably will never meet me again? And, if they find the frumpiness, dowdiness, sloppiness, unbeautified state of one long woman such a blight to their aesthetic environment as to "ruin their day"....well, is that my problem?; or might they, perhaps, teach themselves to focus instead on the hundred things they find pretty and "forget" what they didn't enjoy seeing (a shift in perspective and perceptions). There really aren't many practical downsides to "not being beautified" while shopping, as the clerks are duty-bound to serve you as long as you show money or a credit card.

Of course, I'm probably my neighborhood's "eccentric cat lady" (who, 300 years ago, would have been burned as a witch).

JessicaDayla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2009, 8:13 pm

I'm still trying to find stuff I like, I would like to wear it, but I haven't really found anything that matches my skin well. I do brush my hair 4 or 5 times a day though.

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2009, 10:49 am

I don't wear makeup often. Mostly, I just put on some sunblock and moisturizer and leave it at that.

Personality-wise, I'm not particularly feminine (or masculine, for that matter...I feel mentally androgynous). However, I'm very feminine looking (which doesn't match up with my self concept AT ALL) so I use it as an excuse to be lazy about makeup.

INTJ.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 10:57 am

You just described me to a T! I had a spasmodic attempt at makeup and femininity, but it such hard work. You have to be obsessed. And I was just trying to fit in and feel more normal anyway, which isn't likely to happen.

Bella1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2009, 12:02 am

I've actually always hated lipstick. It just feels like this odd coating over my lips. It never tends to last long on my lips either. Mascara feels funny too. I always end up with black fingers from scraping it off when I have worn it.

Other make-up is not so bad, but mostly I can't be bothered.

flutezrule
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2009, 12:57 am

I don't really wear makeup that much, but then again I'm 15 and don't really need it. I'll occasionally wear makeup if I go somewhere (usually a little to school), but I'm usually inside all day since it's summer and I have nothing to do, so I don't wear any. My friend wears makeup a lot, even when he's home and I think he's a little crazy for that (but I still love him). lol =)

and plus, makeup is sticky and annoying especially when it's 90 degrees and 100% humidity outside.

JessicaDayla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2009, 7:20 am

flutezrule wrote:
and plus, makeup is sticky and annoying especially when it's 90 degrees and 100% humidity outside.

You guys must be having an unusually cold summer as well. I'm up in Ontario, Canada, and here it is typically mid 30s C, this summer its been mid 20s C. Freezing point of water is 0 C and body temperature is 36 C, just to give you an idea. Humidity has been chokingly high this summer.

flutezrule
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2009, 8:47 am

JessicaDayla wrote:
flutezrule wrote:

You guys must be having an unusually cold summer as well. I'm up in Ontario, Canada, and here it is typically mid 30s C, this summer its been mid 20s C. Freezing point of water is 0 C and body temperature is 36 C, just to give you an idea. Humidity has been chokingly high this summer.

actually the summer's are really hot where I live.

JessicaDayla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2009, 9:29 am

flutezrule wrote:
JessicaDayla wrote:
flutezrule wrote:

The temperature you claimed it to be is about the same as a typical summer day where I am, and if I recall, florida was always much warmer every time I was in Disney in May.

flutezrule
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2009, 11:07 am

JessicaDayla wrote:
flutezrule wrote:
JessicaDayla wrote:
flutezrule wrote:

The temperature you claimed it to be is about the same as a typical summer day where I am, and if I recall, florida was always much warmer every time I was in Disney in May.

maybe. I don't really remember the average temperatures where I live (I like looking at the temperatures, but I never remember them). Either way it's still hot and humid though.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 1:43 pm

I HATE make-up. Wore it only once, four years ago, just because I'd gotten some as a gift. I don't like the feel of it.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 8:56 pm

Lipshtick and AS topic

I went through one period in my life where I wanted to look at least somewhat "normal" and wore the makeup and I even had a sort of perm (yuck--I smelled like cat litter) It did not help. I think it was worse then than now. Makeup is an inside thing--self esteem, confidence, and these are the qualities I want to demonstrate and for which to be known. This is the ideal, not masks, lotions, potions, paints and powders. 8)

But, if people are comfortable wearing this stuff and it makes them feel better, then far be it for me to tell them otherwise.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo