Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 11:37 am

That is indeed a very strange conversation. I sure as hell wouldn't talk to him or his mother again- if they called I would just say "leave me alone" and hang up. I seriously doubt you will hear from them again though.

I am leaning heavily toward Chairbreak's possibility b: "There really is a mother there and she is forcing her child to make this phone call as a form of emotional abuse, to humiliate him." I've seen that kind of thing before too. The guy is seriously ill and is trying desperately to be normal. His mother, in her own sick and twisted mind, has convinced herself that she is disciplining him in a legitimate way for legitimate reasons- i.e. teaching him a lesson about the dichotomy between his actual age and behavioural age. In reality, she is deriving some kind of personal satisfaction from humiliating him. Her horrible parenting is probably contributing greatly to his problems.

I doubt you're in any danger; I think you were just a tool to humiliate the kid.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 8:54 pm

That sounds like something from Crank Yankers, except not as funny.

You shouldn't take that job. Too risky, he might be some sort of predator/serial killer. Whatever it was, he was clearly psychologically disturbed. If he really did have his mother there it sounds like somebody should do something about his situation. If there was a mother there she wasn't a very good mother if she was making him make a call like that. Call the police if you receive another call from him.

Chalula88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2007, 10:32 am

Yeah, I have no intention of taking the job if I ever hear back from them, although if it's been this long I doubt they will be calling back.

I have heard of such emotional abuse it just seems odd that the mother would do that to me without informing me first that her son was going to make the call. Of course, maybe the mother expected me to hang up instead of ask to speak to her in which case she could have been refusing the phone, not the boy. I'm just not sure.

chairbreak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2007, 11:12 am

Some people are just plain crazy and you can't make any sense of their actions no matter how hard you try. Unfortunately I've had to deal with people like that before.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 12:18 pm

That's my feeling on it as well. I wouldn't spend too much time trying to make sense of it. Just be careful for awhile and let go of it. It may never make sense to you.

Chalula88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2007, 4:05 pm

Well thanks everyone! You've all made me feel a lot better.