WrongPlanet special on Geraldo this afternoon/evening on FOX

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2005, 6:47 pm

ill be watching it tonight, and see how much he really knows.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 6:57 pm

Because some people's ranks are "woodpecker", we are inundated with Google ads for woodpecker-related items on this page. :lol:

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 7:41 pm

Sadly, I cannot watch. To those of you who do, please let the rest of us know how it is... and save some of the appetizers from your party! :jester:

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 8:03 pm

It's not on in my state. :(

Could someone record it and make a transcript, please?

stellacotton
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Nov 2005, 8:42 pm

I just watched the program and my only complaint would be the fact the show failed to mention he was on an antipsychotic called Geodon which is very new and which the FDA has already put a Black Box warning on. To just report he had A.S and raise the question as to it being the reason for the shootings/killings is almost irresponsible without reporting the anti depressants he was taking which are more often then not linked to such behavior.

Heres the enticer for the show and the story.
http://www.geraldoatlarge.com/
http://www.geraldoatlarge.com/blog.php

From another forum...http://www.cracklog.com/node/1236?from= ... er_page=90

William Freund’s deadly rampage may have been triggered by an antipsychotic medication that he was reportedly taking, Geodon. He had mentioned on WrongPlanet.net that he didn’t like being on the medication and that he had felt happier before he was taking it. It is usually prescribed to treat the symptoms of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Some people have reported having violent urges/thoughts while taking Geodon — here’s some quotes from another forum >>

http://www.drugs.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=683

"I have a son on Geodone, I know this one is fairly new, but I am woundering if anyone is having problems with irritability, violent behavior and inability to think rashly...."

"I have been on Geodon 80mg twice a day for 9 days now. I am having violent behaviors,and I know it sounds weird but when I am dreaming, I can not tell if my dream was something I did or if it was a dream. It is really runing my life. Please I want to know if this is something from this medication or what I need to do."

"I have been taking Geodon for the last month and just stopped. This last month I have experienced three Rage Episodes. During the episodes I wanted to kill or maim loved ones and family members. I could actually visualize the distruction. I was extreemely frightened. Turning the Rage outward put my family in jeopardy and turning the Rage inward put my life at risk. It took all my self-control to prevent the violence. I was unaware that I was capable of experiencing such intense violent emotions."

Last edited by stellacotton on 10 Nov 2005, 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SquanderedPotential
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Nov 2005, 9:18 pm

i not able to see it either.

in my mind

"If you fit the mold of a chipmunk, you probably aren't a kangaroo." - DeepThought

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 9:24 pm

ed wrote:
Because some people's ranks are "woodpecker", we are inundated with Google ads for woodpecker-related items on this page. :lol:

That's completely off-topic and yet true and really, really funny.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 10:14 pm

ah... i dont see any geraldo tonight hmm

Anyone gonna capture it onto the net?

AS_Interlocking
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2005, 11:25 pm

I just saw it on WTTG - DC.

I was not impressed by it, but not genuinely angry. They did fail to mention that Mr. Freund was on medication which is known to cause people to get angry on air. They also kept trying to make it sound like the cause of his violence was because of his AS and not because of the bullying he received, which sends the wrong message that people with AS are likely to be violent even if they are placed in a less hostile environment.

That said, I am glad they put on a doctor on who brought up that there really is no link between AS and violence--and for putting on a classmate who, while likely not aware of even a slither of the harassment Mr. Freund likely received every day in middle and high school, did point out some of the things students with AS who are bullied every day go through. I'm also glad they kept using the term "neurobiological disorder", as opposed to a "disease," because as most of us here know, AS is something you are born with, and is with you for life, and is a result of parts of the brain developing differently--nothing caused by a bacterial or viral infection, or developed randomly during life such as cancer.

Still, Mr. Rivera's repetitive assertion that Mr. Freund's violent act was a result of AS and not just bullying is going to only cause more of something people with AS have TRULY suffered from all their lives: causing more and more of the general public to perceive people with AS in a way very, very different and worse than what they truly are.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 12:08 am

AS_Interlocking wrote:
Still, Mr. Rivera's repetitive assertion that Mr. Freund's violent act was a result of AS and not just bullying is going to only cause more of something people with AS have TRULY suffered from all their lives: causing more and more of the general public to perceive people with AS in a way very, very different and worse than what they truly are.

Look at it like this: Who's crazier? People with AS or people that believe something just because Geraldo said so? If you are having a conversation and say, "Well, Geraldo said...", you will most likely get ridiculed and then the subject will most likely change to Geraldo's lack of credibility.

Relyt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2005, 1:15 am

Geraldo doesn't know s**t about what he reports. he just hopes everyone recognizes that his ego is important.

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2005, 7:29 am

i just hope the site doesnt get flamed by an angry lynch-mob.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 10:01 am

I still wonder what drug problems and Geodon do mixed together... William had said he had had drug problems. Maybe he never told his psychiatrist. I know there are many meds which the pdoc is not supposed to give if someone has had a drug problem.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

SquanderedPotential
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2005, 12:49 pm

how f*cked up they didn't mention the geodon!! ! :o frickin idiots. :? :? :?

Sean wrote:
AS_Interlocking wrote:

Look at it like this: Who's crazier? People with AS or people that believe something just because Geraldo said so? If you are having a conversation and say, "Well, Geraldo said...", you will most likely get ridiculed and then the subject will most likely change to Geraldo's lack of credibility.

yes well the fact geraldo has his own show means that there are people who take him that seriously. :? scary thought, eh?

in my mind

"If you fit the mold of a chipmunk, you probably aren't a kangaroo." - DeepThought

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 12:59 pm

ed wrote:

Sadly only ones about how to get rid of them! We need to talk more gibberish to see if we can confuse the adverts!

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 1:57 pm

SquanderedPotential wrote:
yes well the fact geraldo has his own show means that there are people who take him that seriously. :? scary thought, eh?

Hopefully most of them are too dense to penetrate teh interweb... :P

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!