Page 3 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 6:27 pm

Sean wrote:
ghotistix wrote:
I was under the impression that people generally chose to celebrate V-J day, since it marked the end of the bloodiest war in human history, instead of celebrating the day we kilt lotsa dem japs. It's pretty revolting to see you're more interested in the number of people we took down rather than how it allowed us to end all that, but I can't say I'm surprised. I was for giving you a chance to learn some etiquette and I didn't think the mods should step in before now, but it's pretty clear that your bigotry isn't going to change.

The number of people we killed was crucial to winning the war because it eliminated their capacity to wage war and forced their surrender. If we had to launch a traditional amphibious invasion in the Japaneese home islands in the manner that present day "humanitarians" woud have prefered, there would have been mass suicides like occured in Saipan and Okinawa, we would have probably had to resort to the same ethic cleansing we fought and died over to end in Europe just to prevent gorilla and suicide attacks, and would have lost and estimated 500,000 allied troops in the first month of fighting alone. So in my opinion, dropping the A-bombs was a really good thing.

I agree that it had to be done. It was the least evil of several decisions that this country had to make. My comment was that, along with the rest of your posts that extol violence, racism, and homophobia, celebrating the deaths of 100,000 people is disgusting and a lot of people are getting tired of seeing it.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 6:32 pm

ghotistix wrote:
...celebrating the deaths of 100,000 people is disgusting and a lot of people are getting tired of seeing it.

The firebombing of Tokyo killed 85,000, the A-bomb dropped on Hiroshima killed 200,000, and the A-bomb dropped on Nagisaki killed 100,000.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 6:41 pm

Sean wrote:
ghotistix wrote:
...celebrating the deaths of 100,000 people is disgusting and a lot of people are getting tired of seeing it.

The firebombing of Tokyo killed 85,000, the A-bomb dropped on Hiroshima killed 200,000, and the A-bomb dropped on Nagisaki killed 100,000.

What kind of time period are we talking about? If you're celebrating only the day itself, 100,000 is a reasonably accurate figure.

Tak
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2005, 8:51 pm

Sean wrote:
...And would also be a good way for me to find out how many $h!+ lists (for lack of a better term) i've made. :lol:

You can call it 'The vandetta against Sean [split from "Hate Clowns?"]'

A vendetta is an attack without reason. You have attacked the beliefs lives and feelings of many of the people here. At this point speaking out against you isnt vendetta, its pesticide.

You talk about people you want to punch or beat up just for not being like you, yet think anyone arguing with you is "attacking you" with their "agenda".

You admit that you like to get people to hate you AND you think its funny. Well it speaks for your qualities as a person.

I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only person sick of you peppering an otherwise nice forum, filled with incredibly kind and decent people with your endless diatribes of who you want to beat up and who you hate. Guess what? The world isnt about just you. The people you want to hurt and beat up are real people with lives and loves and familes every bit as real as your own.

This isn't about Lesbians and Gays, this is about people, toleration and human decency, and if I can say it here in a forum where its an abstract concept to some, EMPATHY!

You share the planet "and this forum"with lots of people not just straight, Christian, American, Republicans. Did it ever occur to you if you stopped spreading vitriol all the time perhaps there wouldnt be a long list of people who detest you?

Sad part is I used to be a lot like you once, till I had competent therapy, and made some friends.

Aspergers is not a write off excuse for being a jackass, its an invitation to work HARDER at being a human being than most people can imagine.

You use it as a lisence to not even bother trying. Short aside, I met a woman I was talking to at an event, and she told me "You cant have aspergers, you are too nice." This says a lot about prefessed apspergers who dump ther crap attude on the world and blame their disablity.

Dont add to the bad rap, its bad enough now. And if nothing else, try to remember that all those groups who you want to punch because YOU find them offensive, are eery bit as real as you are, walk the earth just as freely, and belive in themselves just as much if not a whole lot more.

Till you start seeing people as PEOPLE first, you will always be pushing to shove, hurt, or exterminate "them" whoever "them" is this week.

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 9:10 pm

Tak wrote:
You share the planet "and this forum"with lots of people not just straight, Christian, American, Republicans. Did it ever occur to you if you stopped spreading vitriol all the time perhaps there wouldnt be a long list of people who detest you?

I would just like to say that there are also other straight, Christian, American, Republicans who are not intolerant and really do not want to have one bad apple spoil the bushel.

Now I have not been here long enough to have any specific Sean issues (at least not this Sean) but I do want to attest to the fact that we can be everything listed above and still be tolerant decent human beings.

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

SineWave
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2005, 11:30 pm

Quote:
Aspergers is not a write off excuse for being a jackass, its an invitation to work HARDER at being a human being than most people can imagine.

! :D

Tak
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2005, 12:39 am

yealc wrote:
Tak wrote:

I would just like to say that there are also other straight, Christian, American, Republicans who are not intolerant and really do not want to have one bad apple spoil the bushel.

Now I have not been here long enough to have any specific Sean issues (at least not this Sean) but I do want to attest to the fact that we can be everything listed above and still be tolerant decent human beings.

I know, I was once all three myself, well exept the straight part........ Hey, I thought I was! ;)

Tak
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2005, 12:41 am

SineWave wrote:
Quote:

! :D

Thank you. :)

Tak
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2005, 12:59 am

vetivert wrote:

First they came for the Communists,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.

by Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945

Thats the fifties bowdlerised version,
there was a tendency to try to forget tht the
Nazis were as hard on political dissedents,
as they were on ethnic and sexual minorities,

The original one went like this,

First they came for the Jews
------------------------------------------
First they came for the Jews
And I did not speak out –
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the communists
Because I was not a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
Because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me –
And there was no-one left
To speak out for me.

Pastor Niemöller, 1938

That got mangled in the fifties as it defended comunists........

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 1:09 am

ghotistix wrote:
What kind of time period are we talking about? If you're celebrating only the day itself, 100,000 is a reasonably accurate figure.

The blast at Hiroshima killed about 120,000 on impact and and the death toll rose to 360,000 by the end of the year. About 40,000 died in the blast at Nagasaki and the death toll rose to 100,000 by the end of the year. Together, that is a minimum of 460,000 dead within the year, though the statistics for the initial blasts are low because there were thousands of workers from surrounding areas working in those cities, plus thousands more refugees from tokyo and other bombed out cities. While nobody rejoices in killing refugees, the bombs were dropped over two of the last five operational factory districts in Japan, and factories as well as the workers are legitimate military targets recognized recognized under the rules of war.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 1:38 am

Being both lesbian and logical, I was offended by MANY of the hapdashedly researched and biased posts by Sean in the gay thread.

However-- to throw some more sticks in the fire, just to be fair-- I have noticed Sean being shat upon a bit more by some of the WP members particularly due to hostilities raised by that thread which have unfairly carried over into others. I don't agree with ANYTHING that he said in that thread. And I was often enraged by many of his comments. But I have noticed a quickening of tempers which have treated him a bit unfairly following all that.

[/sticks]
:?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 2:02 am

thanks for the "proper" version of niemoller's poem, Tak.

no-one will be surprised to hear i agree with the above posts, with the obvious exceptions.

i am not going to go off on a tangent, discussing whether or not (only) one of the issues was justified, necessary, humane, or anything else. but there ARE guidelines on this board, which are there for a reason.

i wouldn't want vulnerable people (which about covers everything, i think) to read things here which they go away and think are okay. i don't want people to feel any worse than they might already do by reading stuff about themselves which states they are less than anyone else. i DO want open and frank debate about such things, as it might be the only way some of us GET to discuss them, which is why it's always helpful to hear why people think or feel as they do, to get a dialogue going. statements of intention to be violent do not add to any civilised debate. and that's what i think the guidelines are for.

and i especially agree with the point about "bad apples" - there are plenty of people here who disagree with someone else, and yet they manage to join in a civilised debate, which doesn't inflame any tempers or offend anyone (q.v. the "white muslims" thread, for an example).

i will say that i do try to take an overall view of things, and so don't see threads as isolated entities. if i'm complaining about someone's behaviour in what appears to be an unfair way, then it's because i'm looking at it across the board (literally, in this case). there is also the thread which was pulled before more than a couple of us had seen it. and i would say the same thing to anyone who made any comments which went against the guidelines - it's neither personal nor a vendetta.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 4:09 am

Sean wrote:
ghotistix wrote:
I was under the impression that people generally chose to celebrate V-J day, since it marked the end of the bloodiest war in human history, instead of celebrating the day we kilt lotsa dem japs. It's pretty revolting to see you're more interested in the number of people we took down rather than how it allowed us to end all that, but I can't say I'm surprised. I was for giving you a chance to learn some etiquette and I didn't think the mods should step in before now, but it's pretty clear that your bigotry isn't going to change.

The number of people we killed was crucial to winning the war because it eliminated their capacity to wage war and forced their surrender. If we had to launch a traditional amphibious invasion in the Japaneese home islands in the manner that present day "humanitarians" woud have prefered, there would have been mass suicides like occured in Saipan and Okinawa, we would have probably had to resort to the same ethic cleansing we fought and died over to end in Europe just to prevent gorilla and suicide attacks, and would have lost and estimated 500,000 allied troops in the first month of fighting alone. So in my opinion, dropping the A-bombs was a really good thing.

No-ones saying that it wasn't necessary, but that the deaths are not the reason to celebrate.

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 4:20 am

tom wrote:
No-ones saying that it wasn't necessary,.

I am. Apparently no one read my post. :roll:

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 12:38 pm

Psychlone wrote:
tom wrote:
No-ones saying that it wasn't necessary,.

I am. Apparently no one read my post. :roll:

Yes, Psychlone, I think it was disgraceful. There are better ways to settle a conflict. But then again, thats the Americans all over isn't it. They think they rule the world.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 1:58 pm

What better way is there to settle a conflict than to make a society never want to fight again? 8)