Page 5 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 10:02 pm

A friend from a queer camp. I'll call her/they/he Lan.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 11:39 pm

My cousin.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 4:34 pm

Pete Shelley
Marc Almond (especially with the whole touring Russia and going on Russian telly and asking them to tolerate gay people.)
Jayne County
Dusty Springfield

I like Joe Meek, but obviously he doesn't inspire me to be like him (that would be kind of tragic.)

I've always reckoned Samuel Taylor Coleridge was as well. I used to be obsessed with him.
I've heard Emily Bronte was as well, but I'm not as familiar with her life.

Still Peter Tatchell as well, though. Always Peter Tatchell. :D

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 5:36 pm

I didn't say Morrissey, though I should have. I'm eating some chicken right now, so he didn't inspire vegetarianism in me, but he was a big part of my teenage years and I still admire him.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 9:22 pm

Daniel Keenan "Dan" Savage, an American author, media pundit, journalist and newspaper editor. Savage writes the internationally syndicated relationship and sex advice column "Savage Love". In 2010, Savage and his husband Terry Miller began the "It Gets Better Project" to help prevent suicide among LGBT youth. He has also worked as a theater director, sometimes credited as Keenan Hollahan.

In his writing and public appearances, Savage has clashed with social conservatives on the right and the gay establishment on the left. He has been particularly vocal in response to Rick Santorum's views on homosexuality. After Rick Santorum, then a United States senator from Pennsylvania, made comments to a reporter comparing homosexual sex to bestiality and incest in 2003, Savage assailed Santorum in his column. Later, he sponsored a contest that led to the term "santorum" being used to refer to "the frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes a byproduct of anal sex".

:lol: My hero...

Link: Wikipedia Article on Dan Savage

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 9:45 pm

Quite a few. For now, I'll mention Rachel Maddow and Wanda Sykes – for being excellent at what they do, while still being both activist and articulate in the public sphere.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 6:08 am

Fnord wrote:
Daniel Keenan "Dan" Savage, an American author, media pundit, journalist and newspaper editor. Savage writes the internationally syndicated relationship and sex advice column "Savage Love". In 2010, Savage and his husband Terry Miller began the "It Gets Better Project" to help prevent suicide among LGBT youth. He has also worked as a theater director, sometimes credited as Keenan Hollahan.

In his writing and public appearances, Savage has clashed with social conservatives on the right and the gay establishment on the left. He has been particularly vocal in response to Rick Santorum's views on homosexuality. After Rick Santorum, then a United States senator from Pennsylvania, made comments to a reporter comparing homosexual sex to bestiality and incest in 2003, Savage assailed Santorum in his column. Later, he sponsored a contest that led to the term "santorum" being used to refer to "the frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes a byproduct of anal sex".

:lol: My hero...

Link: Wikipedia Article on Dan Savage

There was this man who asked his wife if he could shag her in her sleep but when he actually tried to do it, she pushed him away and whimpered. Dan was like 'drug her: problem solved', rather than realise that maybe this one particular fetish perhaps isn't meant to be fulfilled because the woman is showing signs of subconsciously not really wanting it. Male desire seems to take absolute pride of place in his columns, though.

His response to any woman who doesn't want to fulfil her boyfriend's fetish is always something along the lines 'well, he should dump your ass!' He's very mature in his understanding of het relationships like that.

Also, he's got something against bisexuals, particularly the men. He assumes that we're all after the privilege of being incognito when we end up mostly in straight relationships, but really we do that because some gay people are a***holes like him who can't accept us. He tells any bi boy under 21 that they're basically gay and don't realise it yet. He is so annoying.

Also, he's famous for not doing much that's impressive, anyway. I could get advice like his from pretty much any other gay guy who only sees things from a gay male perspective. He is nothing special, so the know-it-all tone kind of grates on me. You're actually a fair bit wiser than him, Fnord, so I can tolerate your know-it-all tone, but it really doesn't suit him.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 9:37 am

this will probably be a futile post, but i have been watching "the supersizers eat...(whatever decade or era)" series on youtube for a few days and i am completely drawn into the personality of sue perkins.

she and a fellow called "giles" appear in a number of food documentaries that explore the culinary characteristics of various time periods, with each 60 minute show focusing on a particular period. i was researching medieval cookery when i found her.

she is gorgeous in every way in my opinion. she has a sense of humor that is majorly engaging, and i search her face for the mildest of expressions (very uncharacteristic of me)

she has a beauty that is evident to me on every level, and her relationship with her male co presenter is surely one of the most compatible that i have ever witnessed. i am sure that he loves her and she loves him, but i found out that he is married to someone else and she is a lesbian.

nevertheless, she changed my idea of how lesbians are completely.

i always thought that lesbians could have male friends, but they were just not that interested in them, and their true deep personalities were only available to other females.
consequently i have never thought much of lesbians because i thought they also would not think much of me.
i saw them as a closed off group who were unavailable for me to love because they somehow looked down on men in a primal way, and that the best they could do was to be friendly and courteous to men, but beyond that they were bored and disinterested in anything to do with males.

sue perkins seems to genuinely love the giles fellow (and he loves her equally), and they have a chemistry together which seems better than the chemistry i have ever really seen between 2 people.

i can not explain how i can sense this because i have never given thought to the idea of "biological chemistry" before and i am completely disinterested in any one else's relationships with others, but she has hooked me in. i find her to be so enthralling that i can not take my eyes off her even if she is on screen in the background with many other people in the foreground.

i understand her facial expressions so well even though i am blind to facial expressions normally.

now here comes the futile bit. i am going to post a 1 hour episode of "supersizers eat the 70's (1970's)" so that anyone who is curious to see who i am talking about can see what i mean.

she is woven into my consciousness now and i hold her in high esteem. most of the youtube comments are from women who are impressed with giles, but i completely am enthralled by sue.

a moderator once posted me a pm to tell me to keep out of the "haven" and also the "lgbt" thread because i have not the judicial finesse to post appropriately, but i am going to break the rule imposed on me with this one exception.

here it is.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1fPcmPCQF0[/youtube]

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2013, 5:31 pm

^ There's no problem with you posting that in here because it was just an admiration of someone who happens to be a lesbian. She is a very engaging person. I thought they were a couple on that programme, as well, until I found out that they were not. I had an acquaintance who wanted to go on the Great British Bake Off just to meet Sue Perkins (she had zero interest in baking or being on television otherwise.)

fossil_n
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2013, 8:49 pm

Sally Ride

HopefulFlower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2013, 8:55 pm

Ellen Degeneres < I seriously look up to this woman.

Tegan & Sara < They're kind, respectful, and beautiful.

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2013, 5:17 pm

Bunny Bennett of the band Steam Powered Giraffe. She's talented, a great singer and artist and all-around a nice person considering everything she's been though. I also love that her twin brother and all of the fans of the band support her 100% :)

youwho
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2013, 11:04 am

MTF Trans, These people did amazing things before even coming out.

Sophie Wilson, Inventor of the ARM processor architecture So many people must one or more of these in their pocket, and have no idea of the people behind it.

Lana Wachowski, Co-director of The Matrix trilogy, V for Vendetta, Cloud Atlas etc. Amazing speech, I remember all the internet sniggers at the earliest leaks of the Wachowski brothers/siblings transition.

SnickieX
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2013, 2:40 am

thomas81 wrote:

Freddie Mercury, of course. Another would be Sir Ian McKellen, and Alan Turing, "widely considered to be the father of computer science and artificial intelligence."

greeneyeszengirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Nov 2013, 9:26 pm

Yes, I'm likely biased, she'd certainly tell you so if she were here.

But allow me to present the facts if I may?

We met three years ago the 22nd online. We became over that time good friends. We took our relationship offline (into real life) and friendship blossomed into something more. Along the way however we've both been growing and dealing with life. She does marathons, and when we met, I could walk slowly around the mall, once. I'd been fighting to lose weight for years, and she helped me, encouraged me, gave me tips and tricks in terms of working out. That coupled with a good doctor that finally diagnosed me with a rare genetic defect, and the weight started pouring off. To the tun of 85 pounds since Feb.

She's kind, intelligent, beautiful, is a force of nature and a bright spot in what is at times dark world. She's had a family, is an amazing Mom to three equally amazing and wonderful children, and accepts everyone. She touches lives with light and grace, and on top of being an amazing human being all the way around, and now a grandmother, is holding down a full time job, and going to school to be an RN.

She's the one early on suggested I might be an Aspie. Not looking for anything wrong with me, or being one, but because she's seen this before. One of her children is, near as she and her friends can tell, an Aspie as well. And this child and I get on like two peas in a pod. We all went to Pride this year, my first ever, and she found watching her daughter and I react to things adorable and amusing. She's introduced me to people who work in the field, who work with folks on the Autism spectrum professionally, people who have observed me, interacted with me, and agreed that yes, I'm probably an Aspie.

And I could give you plenty more reasons. But I try not to wander off into a monologue if I can avoid it.

And through all this, still loves me. And obviously, I her. So yeah, she totally inspires me.

Sami

Mike.Mate
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2022, 5:07 pm