5 years, daughter 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6 years or older, daughter 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6 years or older, daughter 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 140

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2006, 7:50 pm

When did you child start talking? My son was completely non-verbal till age 5, and didn't use sentences until he was 6, and was not understood by strangers till he was 7; he's almost 9 now and is still hard to understand.

quietangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2006, 8:13 pm

Oldest boy (AS) started talking at normal age, first words were "can't, and Won't" I should have known LOL
Youngest (HFA/PDD)didn't speak until 4, only grunts and screams before that and the pointing radar grunting thing. No sentences until age 8 (and that was sporadic, he was pretty much only one or two words) He will revert to that if not prompted.
He prefers not to speak but will around family and adults that he favors.
My oldest NT spoke normally.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2006, 8:29 pm

I started talking at age two.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2006, 10:08 pm

My oldest son (HFA) started talking just around 3 yrs old but really didn't start phrases till 3 1/2 and full sentences till closer to 4, he also has verbal and oral apraxia. My youngest (NA) start getting his first words at 6 months and before 2 had well over a 200 word expressive vocabulary and now at 2 1/2 speaks better than most 4-5 yr olds I've heard. Myself (AS), I started talking around 2 and by 2 1/2 was speaking full sentences. :)

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2006, 4:31 pm

J started talking at 12 mos. but his words were very distorted until 4yrs. I could understand him, but most others could not. For example, he would say "ramreal" when he was trying to say "oatmeal." At almost 10 yrs., he still has problems with correct pronounciation of words, but we correct him as much as possible and make him repeat the word. He doesn't seem put off by these corrections, and it has helped his speech tremendously.

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2006, 4:57 pm

My mum says I started saying a few words just before my 3rd birthday and talked in sentences by the time I started school (aged just 4). I just assumed this was normal, but now I'm thinking it's not.

egghead
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jan 2006, 5:51 pm

My son started talking at 18 months and it was garbled, but we had a bilingual family, and he mixed the two languages for some time.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 7:22 pm

I'm not a parent, but I started talking at less than a year old. I didn't talk much when I was younger, especially to people I didn't know very well (ie, people outside of my immediate family).

three2camp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2006, 9:07 am

My son started talking before he was a year old, simple sentences by about 16 months and more complicated sentences before he was two. When he speaks its more of a lecture and by age 5 he reminded us of an attorney with the way he could argue a point.

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2006, 11:00 am

Quote:
My son started talking before he was a year old, simple sentences by about 16 months and more complicated sentences before he was two. When he speaks its more of a lecture and by age 5 he reminded us of an attorney with the way he could argue a point.

Ha! My son is the same way, except I wouldn't call it lecturing. It's more that he is talking at you instead of with you, and it's usually a monolog about some obsure area that only he is interested in. For a long period of time, his monologing was so bad that if you interrupted him, he would stop (like a tape recorder) and then start right where he left off (in mid-sentence) when he began to speak again. That's gotten better as he has gotten older. He'll be 10 next month. I have been trying for years to make him more aware of it and to practice having actual conversations (involving other words beside yes, no, and I don't know). :D

Pageognat
Raven
Raven

06 Jun 2010, 8:23 pm

Okay, I didn't vote for my kid, I voted for myself, because I don''t have a kid. Anyways, I started talking quite a bit by the time I was at least 2 1/2.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 9:21 pm

My son had words before he was 1. He had lots of expressive language by the time he was 2, but he was also talking at us instead of to us. He started speech therapy at around 18 months, and he started talking in 2 word sentences like "more juice", etc. By the time he was 3, he was speaking in 3 and 4 word sentences, and now at almost 5, he speaks in full sentences. He has always had perfect articulation. He was pronouncing 4 syllable words at 18 mos old. However, he had a lot of scripted talk and memorization and echolalia. Now he can have a small back and forth conversation that makes pretty good sense, but he still likes to monologue about things and he loves to make up random words! He is now asking us questions that he already knows the answer to, or that he knows are pretty ridiculous. Anyway, my son's language development has truly been an interesting thing to watch!

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 10:20 pm

My son's development was very similar to angelbear's.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 10:49 pm

I've got three so I didn't answer the poll.

Eldest Son: Around twelve months. He was to the slow end of normal and we had to really fight with him to get him to use words. He did not start with the normal mama sounds (easiest to form which is why babies start there, and mom's have taken them as a name. :)). His first word was moon. His receptive language was probably precotious, it was his expressive that was sluggish, but not delayed.

Middle Son: Above average. He's a shy quiet child, but had no trouble speaking and moving to sentences and so on. He's a straight up Aspie with ADHD which is well controlled on Adderall.

Little Guy: It's complicated. He's the one kid who is not apparently on the spectrum. He didn't speak till he was five, at least not that anybody could understand. The speech pathologist describes his problems and progress as unique. The psych report said the same thing about him, unique. He went from what sounded like gobbeldy gook to speaking clearly with exceptional grammar, vocabulary and reading skills in a short time. His issues appeared to be in pronouncing the easier sounds. He could say the hard stuff, not the easy stuff. He's my kid for sure!

adora
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jun 2010, 10:34 pm

My son started talking and saying his first words around a year, but as for actually using it right, that is another story.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 11:04 pm

I'm a chick and I'm told I didn't speak actual words until I was four. I had echolia until my teens.