Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 3:48 am

Hala wrote:
Apparently 'typewriter' is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.

The dot over the letter 'i' is called a tittle.

Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.
Longest???? maybe in english
Lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas (60 letters)
meaning mechanic who helps mechanic to fix turbine motors :lol:

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 4:29 am

Followthereaper90 wrote:
Hala wrote:
Apparently 'typewriter' is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.

That's using all three rows on the keyboard.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 5:37 am

Kenjuudo wrote:
Followthereaper90 wrote:
Hala wrote:

That's using all three rows on the keyboard.
http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisimm%C3%A4t_sanat
its actual profession :P but its more like f*****g dot

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 9:58 am

I've just been bitten by a small spider when I got out of the shower. Thankfully I live in the UK not australia so there's probably no chance of it being poisenous.
So if I'm climbing up walls and wearing a blue and red tight costume tomorrow you know why.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 10:26 am

MONKEY wrote:
I've just been bitten by a small spider when I got out of the shower. Thankfully I live in the UK not australia so there's probably no chance of it being poisenous.
So if I'm climbing up walls and wearing a blue and red tight costume tomorrow you know why.
You always have to make sure that the spider has been properly exposed to radioactive radiation before getting bitten... :roll:

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 10:47 am

Here we go again...

* Our current image of Santa Claus was invented by Coca-Cola as part of a marketing campaign.

* The song "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" was written for a Montgomery Ward marketing campaign.

* The Carpenters' "We've Only Just Begun" was originally a jingle written for a bank commercial.

* Half-swording is a European Medieval/Renaissance swordfighting technique where one hand holds the handle and the other hand holds the blade at the half-way point for increased leverage when deflecting blows and added force for thrusts.

* The US Marshals Service was founded in 1789, but deputies did not have a salary until 1896.

* The oldest US federal law enforcement agency is the US Postal Inspection Service, which can trace it's lineage to the first colonial postal surveyor (aka auditor), Benjamin Franklin, who was appointed in 1754.

* Francois Vidocq, the founder of the French Surete, the branch responsible for criminal investigations, was originally a criminal who offered his services to the government in exchange for release from prison.

* "Go." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jun 2009, 11:33 am

Followthereaper90 wrote:
Hala wrote:

I said the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.
By 'word' I mean English word and by 'keyboard' I mean English keyboard.
Your word uses all of the rows of the English keyboard, so therefore it doesn't count.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 1:25 pm

Kenjuudo wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
You always have to make sure that the spider has been properly exposed to radioactive radiation before getting bitten... :roll:

Although wouldn't a spider that has been exposed to radioactive radiation die of radiation poisening? And if it didn't, then surely the human would develop cancers and stuff from the radiation eventually? *ponder ponder*

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2009, 2:48 pm

111111111 squared = 123456789987654321

Isn't that a cool number :P

Apparently cockroaches can survive nuclear disasters unharmed.

The Videogame : Call of Duty World at War, has sold over 11 million units since its release last November.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 3:13 pm

DarrylZero wrote:
* Adolf Hitler had one testicle.

I heard in a recent radio interview with a urologist that Adolf Hitler had undescended testicles. If that is true, then the one-testicle idea probably came from observations of his unfilled scrotum.

More random facts (all about South Africa, this time...):

South Africa has 3 capital cities. (I live near one of them.)

Most Muslims in South Africa are either the descendants of slaves from Malaysia, or of worker-migrants from India.

South Africa has 11 official languages (of which I speak 3).

South Africa is home to the world's first space tourist, Mark Shuttleworth. (His uncle was my father's boss.)

Afrikaans (spoken mainly in South Africa, but also by groups in Namibia, Zimbabwe and other neighbouring states) is the only Indo-European language native to the African continent.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 3:16 pm

DarrylZero wrote:

"Oh."

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2009, 3:49 pm

Alphabetania wrote:
DarrylZero wrote:

"Oh."

:lmao:

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jun 2009, 4:04 pm

DarrylZero wrote:

How about "Oi!", "Hi.", "Eh?", "Ta.", "Ah!", "Ow." and, as Alphabetania mentioned, "Oh."?
Or do they not count as complete?

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 4:16 pm

To be fair to "Go", I am assuming 'complete sentence' means it has a subject and a predicate. Now I am not that great with grammar, but as I see it, in a sentence like "Go", which does contain a verb (one of the requirements of a predicate), the subject is implied by the imperative form of the verb. If it were written in full, it would be: "You (must) go."

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 4:20 pm

Followthereaper90 wrote:
Lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas (60 letters) meaning mechanic who helps mechanic to fix turbine motors :lol:

Is that in Finnish? The word for mechanic in my own home language is motorwerktuigkundige. Very short and sweet by comparison! :wink:

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 5:01 pm

The power of judicial review was not granted to the US Supreme Court by the Constitution, but was actually claimed by them as a power implied by the Constitution.

The male platypus actually has a form of poison that is injected when it scratches something with its hind claws. The poison is not deadly, but causes severe pain that cannot be controlled by morphine.

We all know about smoking and secondhand smoke, but what about thirdhand smoke? Thirdhand smoke is the smoke and chemicals that attach themselves to clothing, carpeting, etc.

Edit: Oh, right: Louisiana is the only state in the US that does not use the English system of common law.