Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Justin227
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jun 2009, 4:37 pm

Sorry to make one of these threads, but I'm interested in what you all think. Kaufman did infact have a lot of aspie things about him. I'm a big fan, and always thought that it was possible. When I did some research I found that many others have speculated it as well.

So what do you think?

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 5:00 pm

It's certainly possible. I have the same sort of sense of humor. When he was dying of cancer some people thought it was an elaborate joke - and some even expected him to reveal it in 1995 0r 2005 (10 or 20 years after.)

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 5:06 pm

I see what you mean. When people find AS, and other explanations of why they are how they are, there's a lot of searching for others like them, often famous ones. But I also see that this is different.

I wonder about people like him. Do they mimic people like us because they knew or know one, and think it's funny? Or are they compensating for odd traits and things that have caused them trouble, using those qualities to make everyone else look foolish for a change? Fact is, I haven't seen much of what he was like day to day. He didn't strike me as the sort that would allow anyone to see what he didn't wish, which would tell me he's either not AS or he was just that ingenious. Fact is, there are so many "disorders" out there that it would more unnatural not to have one than it is to have one. And dull, very dull. Who knows what he really had going on?

So my answer is... Dunno.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 5:24 pm

Normally, I don't like threads like this, but with Andy Kaufman it really does make one wonder. I don't know much about him, but the little that I do know, combined with his 'aspie stare' I'd have to say it's quite possible. He definitely has the autistic gaze, at least IMO.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 5:34 pm

Kaufman seemed very much like he had higher functioning aspergers or very bad adhd. Regardless, he was one of the funniest comedians of his time.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 6:15 pm

I think so, but it's hard to say.

Heck, seems like almost all of our great minds have had something wrong with them (pardon the play on words).

Justin227

24 Jun 2009, 8:17 pm

I've got a couple books about him and old video converted to DVD. Someone mentioned that he seemed as if he was the type that didn't show his true self to people, or what I mean is that he wouldn't want people to see him 'out of character.' However in certain relaxed interviews where friends would film him he actually seemed more aspie than usual. Also, that gaze he posseses. A friend once found his biography in my personal library and said, "hey Justin..he has your eyes!" Another thing is that he had obsessive interests. Many daily routines, and was thought to have OCD. But, most would see it as that because of the asperger's obsessions and compulsions that he had. He was also thought to have multiple personality disorder, I read a lot on MPS and he wasn't mentally and emotionaly unstable. Just eccentric.

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jun 2009, 10:56 pm

Never really thought about it before. Although so many seem to have appreciated his humor, he was also often off the mark for many. One of those who is regarded as very funny by many, but also was completely misunderstood by many. If fewer people had found him funny, or he was in with the wrong crowd, he might never have made it as far as he did.

For me, the defining moment for Andy Kaufman was when he destroyed the episode of Fridays that he was on. I don't think I saw it, since I was a very young kid at the time, but reading about it and seeing some video of it was simply incredible.

Shaqn
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jun 2009, 2:17 am

I am a big fan of Andy (What's that? That's Mr. Kaufman, to you!) and am currently on my 2nd reading of Bill Zehme's biography on him (Lost in the Funhouse).

Back in 2007, before I even knew about Asperger's or even what was "wrong" with me, I watched the movie Man on the Moon for the first time in years. Afterwards I wanted to know everything there was to know about Andy Kaufman and so I scoured the internet looking for videos and texts about him. After reading two of his biographies (Both Zehme's and the poorer Zmuda one) I began to feel a great connection between him and myself. I could, and still do, relate to the many aspects of his life and personality/personalities. By finally seeing that there WERE, in fact, people like me, especially someone like Mr. Kaufman, I finally began to feel more secure with myself.

Flash forward to fall 2008 when I finally stumbled upon the Asperger's page on Wikipedia while trying to learn more about Autism (out of mere curiosity, as I didn't really know what it was). After reading the page on AS, I began to do more research on the net and in books. I strongly felt that this really could be myself defined and at that point, I was reminded of Kaufman. If both reading about Andy and Asperger's for two completely different reasons made me feel the same way about myself, then I can without a doubt say that Andy Kaufman had some sort of HFA.

I cannot really give specific examples to support my argument as I'm still not an expert on AS or anything on the spectrum, but I do not care. I also don't want to sound too sappy, but Kaufman's life has greatly influenced mine for the better and that's all that matters to me.

It's kind of weird talking about this, as I've never been comfortable talking about Andy with other people because most of them don't like/understand him and as such they would feel the same way about me. And before anyone says anything, no I am not just some obsessed fan, I'm actually an aspiring comedian/song and dance man myself so this just gives it that extra kick.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2009, 2:46 am

Shaqn wrote:
I am a big fan of Andy (What's that? That's Mr. Kaufman, to you!) and am currently on my 2nd reading of Bill Zehme's biography on him (Lost in the Funhouse).
It's kind of weird talking about this, as I've never been comfortable talking about Andy with other people because most of them don't like/understand him and as such they would feel the same way about me. And before anyone says anything, no I am not just some obsessed fan, I'm actually an aspiring comedian/song and dance man myself so this just gives it that extra kick.

First post, hi :)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 3:24 am

Justin227 wrote:
Sorry to make one of these threads, but I'm interested in what you all think. Kaufman did infact have a lot of aspie things about him. I'm a big fan, and always thought that it was possible. When I did some research I found that many others have speculated it as well.

So what do you think?

Kaufman was a looney as a tick.

ruveyn

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 3:39 am

Quote:
Do you think Andy Kaufmann had AS?

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah..."

Sorry. Had to do it. :lol:

The year is still young.